102 replies to this topic

#91 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:33 AM

Like the gutter idea, might just nick that. ?

#92 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 12 April 2020 - 01:23 PM

Iv'e not seen this thread before and I was going to add my tuppenth worth, based on the fact that the first part of my restoration on my Mini was the Subframe. I was going to share my work but your Engineering skills make mine look like a toddler with meccano :-)

I was also told by many "You can't weld up a subframe, it will fail the MOT!! My view (shared by many) was that the thing is welded from new so why not, and if you can't see the welds, how would you know.

I made my own skid plates and cut out and made lots of the internal pieces as well. Lots of advice as I went along from the Mig Welding Forum and Retro Rides.

Well done on a great job 

#93 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,719 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 12 April 2020 - 02:16 PM

Welding fabricated subframes is OK,the criteria being " does it look as strong as it originally was?" The welding or obvious heating of forged or cast suspension items is not OK.Steve..

#94 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 12 April 2020 - 07:31 PM

Iv'e not seen this thread before and I was going to add my tuppenth worth, based on the fact that the first part of my restoration on my Mini was the Subframe. I was going to share my work but your Engineering skills make mine look like a toddler with meccano :-)

I was also told by many "You can't weld up a subframe, it will fail the MOT!! My view (shared by many) was that the thing is welded from new so why not, and if you can't see the welds, how would you know.

I made my own skid plates and cut out and made lots of the internal pieces as well. Lots of advice as I went along from the Mig Welding Forum and Retro Rides.

Well done on a great job 

Hello Jonny !

Is this your topic ? https://www.mig-weld...subframe.45688/

I found it before I gone into the repair and I started thinking : how it is possible ? How can I do it ? Then I saw your attempt and despite of that I did not saw it finished I decided to take a chance. If somebody else can do it, I can do it !

Did you finished your subframe finally ? 

#95 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 13 April 2020 - 10:33 AM

Well done on a great job 

Hello Jonny !

I found it before I gone into the repair and I started thinking : how it is possible ? How can I do it ? Then I saw your attempt and despite of that I did not saw it finished I decided to take a chance. If somebody else can do it, I can do it !

Yup that's me :-)

And I just found another thread here where you can see the finished Subframe after I primed it with Epoxy Primer.

There will also be a few shots of the completed Subframe in my project build "Austin Mini Project Who" about halfway down this page and here is a better picture whilst I was building up the Radius Arms etc. 

And I found my build thread here.

Would I dod it again - probably not it was certainly a large amount of work. I am glad I did it though because I learnt so much along the way. All of these fabrication skills helped me complete the rest of the car.

#96 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 14 April 2020 - 10:47 AM

Well done on a great job 

Hello Jonny !

Yup that's me :-)

And I just found another thread here where you can see the finished Subframe after I primed it with Epoxy Primer.

There will also be a few shots of the completed Subframe in my project build "Austin Mini Project Who" about halfway down this page and here is a better picture whilst I was building up the Radius Arms etc. 

And I found my build thread here.

Would I dod it again - probably not it was certainly a large amount of work. I am glad I did it though because I learnt so much along the way. All of these fabrication skills helped me complete the rest of the car.

You followed a differentt approach, but the final result is looking good. What I would make different next time is to laser cut the templates from thick metal instead of plywood.  But I won't make it again :D

#97 gaspen

gaspen

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 02:13 PM

Finally both subframes got a sand blasting and a KTL painting

Attached File  106497739_140244051016676_5361577158320723177_n.jpg   60.27K   8 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20200630_113353.jpg   64.98K   8 downloadsAttached File  IMG_20200630_113358.jpg   83.8K   9 downloads

#98 Gilles1000

Gilles1000

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 438 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 06:14 PM

They look very nice!

I bet the MOT will not see it's a home made subframe...

I would send you mine rear, which has some repairs to do ;)

#99 DamoMini

DamoMini

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

Excellent work. Well done!

#100 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:14 AM

The workmanship on the subframe is excellent. A pleasure to look at and an antidote the 'oh that'll do mate' attitude that is prevalent in some parts of the motor trade.

I've wondered if it might be possible to fabricate a shroud or covering for the rear subframe to protect it from flying debris and stop it collecting material that rots it out and also protect the underside of the car at that point as well. Plenty of air flow to dry it out.

#101 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 01 July 2020 - 09:52 AM

The workmanship on the subframe is excellent. A pleasure to look at and an antidote the 'oh that'll do mate' attitude that is prevalent in some parts of the motor trade.

I've wondered if it might be possible to fabricate a shroud or covering for the rear subframe to protect it from flying debris and stop it collecting material that rots it out and also protect the underside of the car at that point as well. Plenty of air flow to dry it out.

I made a few removable panels from aluminium with a good covering of epoxy, but don't forget the two drain holes each side to drain water from the subframe cavities.

106g.jpg

#102 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 01 July 2020 - 12:26 PM

"I made a few removable panels from aluminium with a good covering of epoxy, but don't forget the two drain holes each side to drain water from the subframe cavities."

Yes, something rather like that. You have a centre exhaust but I would think something could be fabricated leaving a void with enough space allowing movement for the usual exhaust.

#103 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 04 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

"I made a few removable panels from aluminium with a good covering of epoxy, but don't forget the two drain holes each side to drain water from the subframe cavities."

Yes, something rather like that. You have a centre exhaust but I would think something could be fabricated leaving a void with enough space allowing movement for the usual exhaust.

I followed the curve of the bottom of the subframe to make it easier to make and tucked the cover under the rear valance to allow the slight movement of the subframe. I tried to keep it no lower than the floor and easy removable for the MOT. The recess under the silencer remains in place and the two side panels unbolt with 8 bolts. The hardest part was fabricating the side panels to stop debris from the wheels being thrown inside the cover and at the same time not rubbing the swinging arm.

You could enclose the side exhaust silencer as well but you would have to provide some clearance, which would make it very low and also provide a fairly large hole with clearance where the tail pipe exits the cover.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users