2 replies to this topic

#1 Vudu

Vudu

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

After a lot of research and staring at my '91 saloon, I've decided to build a Mini Sprint (yes, I know an authentic style Mini Sprint would use an Mk1 as a starting point but I like roll-up windows and internal door hinges...). While I have more than enough info regarding placement of cuts, I've not been able to find any info on the cut-down glass.

I'm familiar with cutting front windshields down for chopped tops however it's my understanding that the rear windows for almost all post-war cars cannot be cut because it is tempered glass. I'm assuming this to be the case in our Minis as well (would greatly appreciate someone more informed than me telling me otherwise). If this is the case, what are Mini Sprint builders doing for the rear glass? Are people fabricating acrylic replacements?

The front windshield curvature looks very similar to the rear window however I haven't crafted a large template to verify my suspicion. If it is, it would seem like the solution is as easy as getting a second front windshield and cutting it down to a templated size for the rear.

Help? Thanks in advance for any info.

Edited by Vudu, 14 January 2020 - 06:36 PM.

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 14 January 2020 - 07:18 PM

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that sprints used standard front and rear screens and that the effective screen height was lost by re raking A & C pillars and by letting the glass further into the de guttered roof line.

#3 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 14 January 2020 - 08:03 PM

Glass is cut on a proper Minisprint, (laminated glass can be cut but not toughened/tempered glass).

Minisprint thread on Mk1 Forum may be help and of interest:-

http://mk1-forum.net...php?f=5&t=19471

Edited by mab01uk, 14 January 2020 - 08:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users