SteveeR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Local Club: Hilltop Minis

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:11 AM

Morning All,

Someone I know through a friend has decided it's time to sell one of his Minis, it is a Fiberglass Mini Pickup. At the moment I don't know too much information about it however what I do know I've listed below...

He made it from an old Mini Pickup he purchased, chopped up to create a mold and this was the first and only shell he has made with the mold. Due to this I believe he has the V5 from the original Mini Pickup he chopped so would still be 'legal' in a sense of MOT's and such I presume? Made in black fiberglass so doesn't require painting. Has a hoop bonded into it and he can put an internal cage in if I want one, is a hoop enough ridgitity for a fiberglass shell?

Apparantly he made it an extra wide (not sure if width or length) cab to get that extra bit of room, need to see this in person to understand fully what he has done.

It has a 1071 engine, not an original Cooper S however so presume it is some mix between a 998 block and 1275 head? He has refered to it as a 'banded engine block' but unsure what this means, again need to see it in person to understand.

Seats have been custom made in bare fiber glass but sealed with gel and sealant so there isn't any loose fibers.

Been told it's fully running and driveable but don't think it currently has an MOT.

What are peoples thoughts on Fiberglass shells, are they worth having and what kind of price are they pulling? Seen normal pickups go from 10-20k but never seen a fiberglass one for sale before...

Cheers,

Steve.

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:21 AM

I can’t see any way of it ever being properly legal. Homemade fibreglass shell could be a death trap. I wouldn’t touch it with a barge pole and for sure not for the money of a real pick up.

#3 SteveeR

SteveeR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 08:36 AM

Points fully taken on board, I was unsure about the legality of having a fiberglass shell. I know people do have them and run them on standard mini 1000 logbooks but again, not sure how they get away with it...

Regarding the guy who made it, it is homemade but this is the same guy who bought all the original mini fiberglass moulds (minus moulds I believe) going back 30 odd years and has made numerous shells since. He is a smart cookie so wouldn't have any doubts about the quality, more just would it be a better track car than trying to make it road worthy.

#4 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,767 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:21 AM

Is this guy, who made it, local to Cheltnham ?

#5 SteveeR

SteveeR

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:00 AM

Is this guy, who made it, local to Cheltnham ?

He is yes, roughly 20 miles. I'll be wanting and will go to view at some stage, just wanted others opinions on fiberglass and whether or not you think they are a good buy / safe to run on the road.

Edited by SteveeR, 16 January 2020 - 11:18 AM.

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 January 2020 - 11:44 AM

It might be legal, if it's older than the SVA regulations. It'd be better if there was some acknowledgement on the V5.

Banhan produced Sprite lookalikes that got round SVA by bonding their moulding on to a Mini floorpan as the "chassis" required to keep the donor's identity.

Insuring it could be a different ball game altogether!

#7 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 16 January 2020 - 10:29 PM

http://www.theminifo...-pros-and-cons/

This may be of interest to you this is one of many. 

if you search this forum or (google it ) ref fibreglass shells a few interesting posts will come up .

You could buy a new minus pick up shell for around 7k a few years back and a new fibreglass van for around 5k from two different companies that have now stopped trading. They use to go to the mini shows trying to promote them around 10 years + ago?

I have two fibreglass cars the original mini minus ones and they are so well made I wouldn’t hesitate to recommend them .

#8 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 12:20 PM

Not sure Id have a lot of confidence in a one off home made fibreglass shell  :ohno:

#9 mm man

mm man

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 398 posts

Posted 18 January 2020 - 09:16 PM

Stage One Kit Fitted.         This was posted in another thread ( May be admin can move it correctly) 

This was the minus  pick up that use to do the shows as a promotional car .

• photo-thumb-2974.jpg?_r=1520364268
  • Noobies
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 74 posts
  • Local Club: Miniclan

Posted Today, 07:41 PM

Here's proof there is at least one complete one out there somewhere! I've got all the info on this one and a Black one on an old hard drive but I can't get access to it because the thing is corrupt.

Here are the only pictures I've managed to save.   REMEMBER THIS IS OLD INFO. Pre 2014 at least. This is supposedly the first one from the moulds which were taken and modified from a Mini Minus.  I know this because I've had a Minus from the early 1990s and there's no mistaking the front. I was very close to going to looking at these one time because I was going to make a detour while at one of the Malvern shows and I reckoned it wasn't too far from there. As it was I didn't make it.

The Black one was used in the photos on the Web site at the time which advertised them for sale. The Black one was said to have had a lot of Kevlar strengthening used in its construction. and there were 3 or 4 photos of it from different angles. I do remember it as being incomplete, no engine, or wiring. I can't remember if it even had glass or doors fitted. I think the cab was extended to take better seats, and the deck extended as well.

Keep Searching.

Attached Images
  • post-2974-0-08395900-1579375827.jpg
  •  
  • post-2974-0-95628800-1579375861.jpg
  • post-2974-0-26616100-1579375873.jpg
  •  
  • post-2974-0-28093200-1579376058.jpg

Edited by mm man, 18 January 2020 - 09:22 PM.

#10 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:25 PM

Whatever happened with this? Anyone know

#11 Maccmike8

Maccmike8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:34 PM

I dont have any issues with it as such but I would want a space frame chassis - full roll cage welded or bolted to each subframe.

Lots and lots of fiberglass cars out there and theres no reports of them being killers.

#12 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 13 March 2021 - 05:40 PM

Just been in contact with Les at custom minis. They do complete shell for 3.5k
Which seems reasonable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users