#1 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:48 PM

Hi all, car was in body shop this week having roof repainted. I have a small glass sunroof, looks to be original equipment. They removed the seal for painting and refitted but it’s seen better days. 

are these still available? It’s rubber one piece, not joined (or it’s split in the past!). 

#2 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:58 PM

This one?
http://www.somerford...roducts_id=2096

Ben

#3 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 10:55 PM

Hmmm, could be, mines is not joined but it’s possibly been split in the past. Will give them a shout. Ta.

#4 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:37 PM

Is that the outer seal? I have no idea if there are two (or more) parts, its been a very long time since I stripped it out..!

#5 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 04:13 PM

Based on Ben's link I've ordered a seal from Somerford, I'm rebuilding a 1986 Mini City and the sunroof I believe was fitted form new, I'll let you know whether it fits!

It's one seal inset into the area in which the pop-up glass then fits, it's a substantial seal though.

Stu.

#6 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 09:50 PM

Thanks for that. I called them earlier and spoke to them. There is also an internal trim too.

#7 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 10:23 PM

The internal trim on ours is a wide sort of flock effect on rubber, it presses into the underside aluminium trim to hide both the aluminium and the locating screws.

#8 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:10 PM

Yes, mine too, and thats the one that is split, by design i guess as its an inside non sealing trim part. Someone in the last has sprayed it black though, as its grey on the inside! 

#9 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 12:59 PM

I got the seal today, and although it will fit, its not actually the bit I need...! Its almost like there is an external rubber seal, that fits onto the roof body with a sealing compound to stop any water from getting under it. This might be part of the overall assembly which is probably very rare / non-existent anymore. Should have had the damn thing welded up when they were re-painting the roof..! Never use it. 

#10 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:21 PM

I got the seal today, and although it will fit, its not actually the bit I need...! Its almost like there is an external rubber seal, that fits onto the roof body with a sealing compound to stop any water from getting under it. This might be part of the overall assembly which is probably very rare / non-existent anymore. Should have had the damn thing welded up when they were re-painting the roof..! Never use it.

Can you put up a photo of what you have? My seal arrived today (as linked to by Ben) but I've yet to get a minute to compare it to the old one.

#11 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 07:30 PM

Attached two pics, second one the lighter rubber to the left of my digit is the seal from Sommerford.

Attached Files

#12 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:06 PM

That seal looks the same as the one I've received from Somerford, it locates into a square groove and seals the glass to the frame.

I've taken our complete roof out and it looks to have not been previously removed, the car's been resprayed but it's original paint is still beneath the sunroof trim so the original seal is there ... and it's nothing more than a substantial line of Sikaflex.

Does anyone know whether it's possible to source the lever-handle that locks the roof shut? Ours has broken on one side and although it still functions I'm aware it might give up completely.

#13 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:39 PM

I’m after the very outer rubber, that sits on the roof and is bonded with a bead of some sealer.

#14 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,345 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 12:05 PM

Certainly on ours there isn't one, just a reasonably large dose of Sikaflex.

#15 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 654 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 02:17 PM

Are any of these parts the internal felt-type covered section for inside the car (off-whiteish/light grey in colour)? I have a unipart tilt sunroof fitted to my 1990 car (it was an optional extra ordered at the Rover garage the car was purchased from).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users