107 replies to this topic

#91 AKat

AKat

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 11:20 PM

Haha, this is great!  You beat me to it!  My criteria were slightly different to yours though (small bore).  Mine were

• Has to be compatible with standard manifolds
  • Has to be compatible with standard cam layout
  • Has to out-perform a standard 12G295 casting by a minimum 25%
  • Has to be cost effective (where it fell on its knees)

(Pictures Deleted as everyone's just seen them!!!)

I applied modern port design data to it, used modern standards for CSA and port taper.  The prototype did outflow the 295 substantially above 0.060" (below that it was too hard to tell because of the valve seat... subsequent designs I've done I've actually inserted a steel seat into it so that I can use proper seat angles). 

When I worked out the cost to produce I realised that people probably weren't going to want to pay for it.

Interesting that we both ended up with a chamber not too dissimilar from the stock one, with the space available and other constraints it was hard to beat that basic love heart shape! 

Love your work mate! 

Really lovely work, not seen anything like this before, really clever original thinking. I find it really interesting to see how different people come up with so many different solutions to what is basically the same starting point: "I want better performance from the cylinder head" like you say you started with some very different criteria so you have come up with a very different and ingenious solution. 

Can I ask; with the exhaust ports, are they water cooled over the top or are you relying on oil cooling? When I looked at up-drafting the exhausts, like you have, I couldn't get any water jacket over the top. Also before someone else asks are you going Iron or ally on this?

I understand what you mean about production costs, I am not sure whether I can make a cost effective product either, and I think costs out here are cheaper than the UK. It all depends what people are prepaired to pay of course!

So are  you going to take this further (You really should!)? Will it be cast or machined from solid? If you are casting do look into 3D printing, at least for your first prototypes as It can get you a very accurate part quickly and at a very reasonable cost.

But far more importantly; you can go into your workshop without shoes on? If I did that I would end up in A&E having my paws stitched up...

Good luck and keep going! (and don't forget to add some spark plugs...)

Thanks for the feedback... And no, I definitely wouldn't get away with walking around barefoot in a work shop either :lol: that photo was taken in my garage at home. 

As you can probably see from the prototype when I was printing it, I hadn't yet added water jackets, but I don't believe it would have been a big issue as my design was a lot taller than the original which would have provided ample room.

The plan was to cast them in aluminium.  Its not cost effective to do a billet head unless its a prototype or a limited production run.  I think a lot of people shy away from casting because pattern making is something that can seem overwhelming for a lot of people and if you're relying on a third party it can become cost prohibitive (though not as bad as some people think).  I bought my Printer with the intent of using it to print patterns, I have a background in toolmaking so its not really something that scares me :lol:

I'm surprised by your comments that the cost of manufacturing is cheaper in Australia than the UK, half the reason I'm no longer working as a toolmaker was the lack of work (and reasonable wages) out here, we struggle to compete with the Asian market. 

If there was serious interest I'd probably pick it back up again.   The problem is that for every 10 people who say they're interested probably only 2 of them are serious :lol:

#92 cooperd70

cooperd70

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:12 AM

Haha, this is great! You beat me to it! My criteria were slightly different to yours though (small bore). Mine were

09AP3Pu.jpg
Uy2JQgX.jpg
BwKXn5W.jpg
ItrFTBG.jpg
w4DGJ9D.jpg
nuB8R80.jpg

I applied modern port design data to it, used modern standards for CSA and port taper. The prototype did outflow the 295 substantially above 0.060" (below that it was too hard to tell because of the valve seat... subsequent designs I've done I've actually inserted a steel seat into it so that I can use proper seat angles).

When I worked out the cost to produce I realised that people probably weren't going to want to pay for it.

Interesting that we both ended up with a chamber not too dissimilar from the stock one, with the space available and other constraints it was hard to beat that basic love heart shape!

Love your work mate!

Small bore - one for me please ??

Great work!!

#93 Stealth72

Stealth72

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:58 AM

Haha, this is great! You beat me to it! My criteria were slightly different to yours though (small bore). Mine were

09AP3Pu.jpg
Uy2JQgX.jpg
BwKXn5W.jpg
ItrFTBG.jpg
w4DGJ9D.jpg
nuB8R80.jpg

I applied modern port design data to it, used modern standards for CSA and port taper. The prototype did outflow the 295 substantially above 0.060" (below that it was too hard to tell because of the valve seat... subsequent designs I've done I've actually inserted a steel seat into it so that I can use proper seat angles).

Interesting that we both ended up with a chamber not too dissimilar from the stock one, with the space available and other constraints it was hard to beat that basic love heart shape!

Love your work mate!

Small bore - one for me please

Great work!!

That’s the thing, isn’t it!?
ALL available aftermarket heads are targeted at big-bore blocks. Is there a market for small-bore aftermarket equipment? I have been considering how easy it would be to convert an old 998 to injection and electronic ignition with MPi kit? If head, can and exhaust were fitted to be appropriate to the factory output it ‘should’ work???

#94 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,794 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:33 PM

If I was looking at injecting a small bore I'd be looking at transplanting the 8v OHC fiat fire head.

#95 Trog

Trog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:51 PM

Chapter 6 “Yes Charlie”

So pretty much up to date now, from my machinist the head went to Reflex Engineering here in Campbellfield where Glen fitted the guides, exhaust seats and cut the inlet seats. He also welded up the hole! I was assuming that brazing would be the way to go but Glen suggested spray welding which is his normal method for repairing iron heads. I was happy to be guided by his (far greater) experience and it has come out well.

Got to say I was really impressed, Glen took the time to get everything perfect, even using another 1275 head he had “on the shelf” to check everything. Only issue we had was that the inlet ports were a smidge too large for the 35 mm. valves: I was over optimistic on my casting accuracy, so I am currently waiting for some 37 mm. valves from Minispares. I am a bit concerned that with the down draft inlets and 37mm. valves that I am over ported compared to the 29 mm. exhaust valves, but we will have to see.

From Reflex all I had to do was mask and paint, having spent far too long thinking about the best colour for it! And then the first full dry build, as shown in the early pictures in this post.

So that’s where I am now, I have one complete head and one casting, I have all the engine management sorted, including a complete homemade engine harness:

Attached File  Engine Harness.jpg   52.17K   2 downloads

Gearbox is also sorted and the Mini itself is 95% complete; just need a new set of brake hoses as the UK ones are not “ADR” compliant. For the engine I need to build up a bottom end.

And this is where things will have to stop for a while! Originally I wasn’t going to share anything until I had a running vehicle, largely due to the negativity I have received in the past. But “family” circumstances mean that I will not be able to put any more money into this project for some time, and to be honest I wanted to share what I had done as I was pretty chuffed with how it had turned out! I will keep adding updates with any small things I do; like the crank position sensor etc. but it may be sometime before we see it running.

In the mean time thanks for all your support and encouragement, it’s much appreciated.

#96 KTS

KTS

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,227 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:04 PM

..and thank you for sharing what you've done with us. Outstanding !!

#97 Vegard

Vegard

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:00 AM

I do have an exhaust for you If you could get it from Milton Keynes.

#98 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,844 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:11 PM

Incredible work here. Huge hours !!!

,,,, just need a new set of brake hoses as the UK ones are not “ADR” compliant.

If they are E marked, they are accepted. I'll find the ruling if you need it.

#99 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:16 PM

Many thanks for sharing your 8 port head project with us, Trog and look forward to further updates in the future.

#100 Trog

Trog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

Incredible work here. Huge hours !!!

,,,, just need a new set of brake hoses as the UK ones are not “ADR” compliant.

If they are E marked, they are accepted. I'll find the ruling if you need it.

Sadly they are not! They are custom hoses & use the threaded compression fittings that are popular in the UK but not legal out here!

#101 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,824 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:36 AM

Fantastic work. Keep up the good work!

#102 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 30 July 2020 - 10:01 AM

Any updates? 

Such an interesting project. 

#103 Trog

Trog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 08 August 2020 - 12:22 AM

Any updates? 

Such an interesting project. 

Afraid not... Got some family stuff going on so no money to spare. I have done a few little things like the crank position sensor wheel, but that's about all on the engine.

I have been trying to get the rest of the Mini finished. But even that seems to be embracing the 2020 spirit: Took the drivers door of to clean up a few rust spots... Now waiting for new skins for both doors! Removed my Spax dampers to clean them up and paint them, as I had nothing else to do, Now need a new set of dampers as one of the adjusters was seized...

Hopefully at the end of the year I might have enough to get the bottom end built up... We will see.

#104 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 09 August 2020 - 07:13 AM

Understand. My "quick" fix to get my car back on the road is taking longer. New brake and fuel line, new water pump, new sill, etc etc. 

I also cleand and painted my spax and also had a stuck aduster. Took som tape and built a wal around and filled with penetration oil. Left for a week. Then carefully started moving the adjuster and tapping the scew slot. If finally came loose. 

#105 Trog

Trog

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts

Posted 09 August 2020 - 10:45 AM

Sadly I was a bit heavy handed and broke the adjuster off!!! Some Gaz adjustables coming from Minispares, along with new rubber springs...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users