#1 PaulF61

PaulF61

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 04:10 PM

Hi,

I've just brought a 1991 Mini City Auto, and didn't realize that there was no park gear. It's fine when parked on a flat road but I have a driveway with a slope!

Just wondering if there are any ways of stopping it from rolling off the drive, I've put a brick behind the wheel for now but not satisfied with it. The handbrake hold but not that well on the slope.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,765 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 19 January 2020 - 05:28 PM

Park it across the slope.

#3 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

May be worth asking on the

'Automatic Mini Register' forum (see link below) :-

http://autominiregister.proboards.com/

#4 Norway Thomas

Norway Thomas

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club.

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:37 PM

This may sound flippant but when there are so many Minis with functioning handbrakes perhaps you should fix yours?

The Mini Automatic transmission came in 1968 and was never offered with a P sector on the gear selector or transmission.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:44 PM

This may sound flippant but when there are so many Minis with functioning handbrakes perhaps you should fix yours?

The Mini Automatic transmission came in 1968 and was never offered with a P sector on the gear selector or transmission.

There are minis with a park sector ?

#6 Norway Thomas

Norway Thomas

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 06:57 PM

There are minis with a park sector

Thats interesting, I don't suppose that you know the year model for that?

The Automotive Products 4 speed transmission as it came in 1968 for the Mini, 1098 & 1275 didn't have a park sector, I was told when I attended the factory course on that transmission when the transmission came in 1968 that they had priority on four speeds instead of a parking pawl arrangement. There is an awful lot of bits and pieces packaged into that transmission case.

I will admit that I have not seen any of the Japanese versions in real life, the one mentioned was 1991?

A small car like the Mini has rear brakes that function well enough if adjusted correctly I think.

Besst wishes
Tony :proud:

#7 PaulF61

PaulF61

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:32 PM

Thanks for all the replies, think i'll head over to the auto mini forum like JXC Mini GT Suggested!

#8 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:41 PM

2 friends have automatic... an 86 mayfair and the other is a 93 Sprite... I'm sure the Sprite has a park pawl

#9 AP2020

AP2020

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:41 PM

The Automotive Products 4 speed transmission as it came in 1968 for the Mini, 1098 & 1275 didn't have a park sector, I was told when I attended the factory course on that transmission when the transmission came in 1968 that they had priority on four speeds instead of a parking pawl arrangement. There is an awful lot of bits and pieces packaged into that transmission case.

I will admit that I have not seen any of the Japanese versions in real life, the one mentioned was 1991?

A small car like the Mini has rear brakes that function well enough if adjusted correctly I think.

Besst wishes

Minimatic was first sold in 1965

Park was fitted to all A+ 1275 units. 

Park was not fitted as standard to any small bore autos except possibly the metro range in some cases

Can it be changed ?  Yes you just need to change the selector lever and valve body and front cover and forward clutch pack....... 

#10 AP2020

AP2020

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 03:45 PM

Hi,

I've just brought a 1991 Mini City Auto, and didn't realize that there was no park gear. It's fine when parked on a flat road but I have a driveway with a slope!

Just wondering if there are any ways of stopping it from rolling off the drive, I've put a brick behind the wheel for now but not satisfied with it. The handbrake hold but not that well on the slope.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Your hand brake is no different to all the other cable operated parking brake systems fitted to classic Mini, therefore you could fix it and that would be more than suitable in most cases, however if your drive is too steep for goats then it may not hold it..

#11 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 21 January 2020 - 03:21 AM

Maybe adjust your rear brakes better? My handbrake holds just fine on even steep hills. However, it holds even better going forward, so maybe back up the driveway?

#12 Aria Aradhea

Aria Aradhea

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 563 posts
  • Local Club: Jakarta Morris Club

Posted 21 January 2020 - 05:12 AM

The 90s 1275 Minis (Sprite, Mayfair, Cooper) automatics have a P-sector. The 90s 998cc Minis do not.

If parked on a slope or unflat terrain, put the Mini on N and apply the parking brake.

#13 Norway Thomas

Norway Thomas

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:38 AM

Besst wishes

Minimatic was first sold in 1965

Park was fitted to all A+ 1275 units. 

Park was not fitted as standard to any small bore autos except possibly the metro range in some cases

Can it be changed ?  Yes you just need to change the selector lever and valve body and front cover and forward clutch pack....... 

I stand corrected :D

#14 Norway Thomas

Norway Thomas

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 January 2020 - 10:42 AM

2 friends have automatic... an 86 mayfair and the other is a 93 Sprite... I'm sure the Sprite has a park pawl

I would argue that the Sprite is a rear wheel drive car, this discussion applies to the 4 speed transverse automatic transmission manufactured by Automotive Products (AP). I cannot comment on the automatic fitted to the Sprite.

#15 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 21 January 2020 - 11:01 AM

I would argue that the Sprite is a rear wheel drive car, this discussion applies to the 4 speed transverse automatic transmission manufactured by Automotive Products (AP). I cannot comment on the automatic fitted to the Sprite.

They are discussing the Sprite model of the Mini ...  there was never a Austin-Healey Sprite automatic!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users