20 replies to this topic

#1 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 07:54 PM

Hi all, just got my 998 supercharged by ML motorsport with a Vmaxscart DCOE40 kit. 

While in the shop also had a regrind, head polish, oil pump, gearbox rebuild ,upgrade on the final drive and a lightened flywheel with a turbo verto clutch. The finished car is absolutely brilliant. In second can feel the front end lifting. Really pleased so far. Will take a little while to get used to, its extremely easy to stall when moving off, however thats going to be a mix of the new clutch bite being harder and faster and the final drive ratio, and i guess the fact the engine is now running the charger all the time. Im yet to look into the boost pressures and not sure on the pulley ratios provided by the kit. 

Here is the graph ive made from the figures provided from Vmaxscart and a dyno run when i got my fueling set up using a minispares stage 1 kit with a hs4 .

HS4 stage 1 998 -             Max hp 51.0@5550 , Max torque 57lbs/ft @ 3800

DCOE40 supercharged -  Max hp 81.2@5500 , Max torque 103lbs/ft@3000

Numbers from vmaxscart were given with hp and rpm in 1k increments with torque being calculated by myself, HS4 number read from a dyno print out. 

AXi7Dq8.png

No idea how you nutters live past 100hp, would be fun im sure 

Edited by phillrulz, 22 January 2020 - 10:18 PM.

#2 IronmanG

IronmanG

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts
  • Local Club: Box hill. Lsmoc member

Posted 19 January 2020 - 08:30 PM

I so nearly went the vmax route and in the end went 7 port. Big regrets from me. Amazing torque there

#3 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 19 January 2020 - 09:02 PM

I so nearly went the vmax route and in the end went 7 port. Big regrets from me. Amazing torque there

Torque is calulated however it defintly feels like it, acceleration was nice and can go from stationary to 4th in no time. 

#4 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 02:43 PM

i am so close to just breaking down and buying a vmax kit for my 998.  This is only pushing me more towards that direction.  I just have a minispares stage 1 on mine so it wont be as nutty.

Edited by kit352, 20 January 2020 - 02:44 PM.

#5 Dobey

Dobey

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:37 AM

I can relate to that kit352... But the price is the last hurdle i have to take.. Still in doubt.....

#6 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:18 AM

It's not so much the price for me, it's the measurable difference it would add to driving the car. I worry I would be disappointed in it after putting it on. It's not easy finding a 998 with one that I can get some opinions on.

#7 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:15 PM

i am so close to just breaking down and buying a vmax kit for my 998. This is only pushing me more towards that direction. I just have a minispares stage 1 on mine so it wont be as nutty.

Do it!
I have the VMAX kit on mine which only had a stage 1 kit before. All that's actually kept is the exhaust.
Mine makes 71bhp, 71lb/ft. Less torque than expected but good power, not sure why. It holds peak torque from 3-5krpm though and drives amazing.

Edited by Dannyboolahlah, 22 January 2020 - 05:15 PM.

#8 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:12 PM

Those who have installed already, have you done anything to address charge temperatures if so what?

#9 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 06:34 PM

Those who have installed already, have you done anything to address charge temperatures if so what?

Dont think its easy to really help, not sure on the boost either so may not need it 

Edited by phillrulz, 22 January 2020 - 06:34 PM.

#10 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 22 January 2020 - 08:47 PM

Cold air induction is a good start.

#11 kit352

kit352

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:03 PM

i am so close to just breaking down and buying a vmax kit for my 998. This is only pushing me more towards that direction. I just have a minispares stage 1 on mine so it wont be as nutty.

Do it!
I have the VMAX kit on mine which only had a stage 1 kit before. All that's actually kept is the exhaust.
Mine makes 71bhp, 71lb/ft. Less torque than expected but good power, not sure why. It holds peak torque from 3-5krpm though and drives amazing.

More temptation...

#12 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 10:08 PM

They offer a chargecooler, but not sure how it works. Think it sits between the charger and manifold, don't know how effective they are though. Or you can use methanol injection.
Or if you just want big power then use a turbo. But they're much more work, and still don't think anything is available off the shelf for an intercooler so needs fabricating.

#13 timmy850

timmy850

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,976 posts
  • Local Club: MITG

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:44 AM

My friend had one for a while. The charge cooler was a spacer with a small channel milled in it. It also makes the supercharger sit a bit higher which made his hit the bonnet

I don't think the charge temps would be a problem for a road car. You get a lot of cooling from the fuel atomisation and if you do have issues you can run water/meth injection if you absolutely need to

#14 Dannyboolahlah

Dannyboolahlah

Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 11:35 AM

Yeah no problems with temperature on mine. It's tuned a bit on the rich side which probably helps.

#15 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:43 PM

I’m really tempted by this kit for my 998, especially when you read on his Facebook account, 90bhp from a 998, it’s the concerns about charge temperatures that stops me, read differing opinions on the effectiveness of the charge cooler.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users