#1 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:40 PM

Hello,

I found a broken wire on the loom going to the alternator. It's white and black. The only white and black wire I see on my diagram should be between the distributor and the coil, so not on the loom... and those are already connected.

Does somebody knows what it is? Thanks

YC4NNyt.jpg

istmZhb.jpg

KZ0VOQ1.jpg

#2 MiddletoM

MiddletoM

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:54 PM

my 93 carb has two black and white wires going to the coil. One from the distributor and the other from the loom. Both plugged into the same negative terminal of the coil. The one on the loom goes to the tachometer i believe.

Edited by MiddletoM, 22 January 2020 - 03:58 PM.

#3 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 04:03 PM

my 93 carb has two black and white wires going to the coil. One from the distributor and the other from the loom. Both plugged into the same negative terminal of the coil. The one on the loom goes to the tachometer i believe.

I should have said that my car is a 1978. It doesn't have a tachometer

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:35 PM

It will still be the same as said above, the wiring will be taped in the loom

#5 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:13 PM

Right, the tacho wire is there, even if you don't have a tach......tape it off and ignore it.

#6 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

What has been done with your car is somebody has connected the wire from the points directly to the coil.  Normally that white/black wire should have a spade connector that connects to the points wire. 

I would suspect that the car was fitted with an electronic ignition modual ( spade cut off) and than changed back to points again.

#7 Norway Thomas

Norway Thomas

Learner Driver

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
  • Local Club: Norsk Mini Cooper Club.

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:04 PM

Hello,

I found a broken wire on the loom going to the alternator. It's white and black. The only white and black wire I see on my diagram should be between the distributor and the coil, so not on the loom... and those are already connected.

Does somebody knows what it is? Thanks

YC4NNyt.jpg

istmZhb.jpg

KZ0VOQ1.jpg

Just wonder if that stripe is black or dark brown? depending on the market that the loom / harness was targeted towards it might be part of a ballast resistor setup, "might" be just a guess based on some other Lucas colour codes. If this is a Canadian car that might be the case.
Read to be corrected :shifty:

#8 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 22 January 2020 - 11:55 PM

White /brown is for oil pressure warning switch which would be in the same area if fitted but the first picture shows the green/blue wire for the temperature sender and the last picture shows the take off for the oil pressure gauge which means a 3 clock centre dash on a '78 mini 1000 ( unless its a clubman)  so no oil pressure warning switch fitted .

#9 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 06:30 PM

White /brown is for oil pressure warning switch which would be in the same area if fitted but the first picture shows the green/blue wire for the temperature sender and the last picture shows the take off for the oil pressure gauge which means a 3 clock centre dash on a '78 mini 1000 ( unless its a clubman)  so no oil pressure warning switch fitted .

Yes to all of this. I'll put a nice connector on the white/black wire and connect it to the negative side of the coil then. 

#10 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 02:15 PM

Wire repaired. So that's another thing waiting for the engine to go back in

1D1qfdy.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users