4 replies to this topic

#1 tappouni

tappouni

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:03 AM

So I had a bit of a weird one today (the car is an ‘81 HL Auto) - while on a dual carriageway, I lost power (no throttle response) and the red ignition light came on. Lasted for a few seconds then went back to normal.

I did have the rear demister, headlights and fan on - could it be that my alternator couldn’t cope with the load and/or is going bad?

Having those things on is completely normal for me whilst driving to work at this time of year - the car has never done that before. Just odd that it seemed to give up briefly, then went back to normal.

Thoughts?

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 08:12 AM

I'd start by checking the battery, solenoid, ignition coil and engine to body earth strap connections for condition and security.

#3 AP2020

AP2020

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 09:41 AM

So I had a bit of a weird one today (the car is an ‘81 HL Auto) - while on a dual carriageway, I lost power (no throttle response) and the red ignition light came on. Lasted for a few seconds then went back to normal.

I did have the rear demister, headlights and fan on - could it be that my alternator couldn’t cope with the load and/or is going bad?

Having those things on is completely normal for me whilst driving to work at this time of year - the car has never done that before. Just odd that it seemed to give up briefly, then went back to normal.

Thoughts?

Did the headlamps go dim ?

#4 tappouni

tappouni

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:29 PM

I'd start by checking the battery, solenoid, ignition coil and engine to body earth strap connections for condition and security.

Thoughts?

Did the headlamps go dim ?

I'll give the battery/solenoid/ignition/earth a check over later, just to make sure it's all good. 

I don't think the headlamps went dim at the time, though now you mention it, when parked, the headlamps are noticeably dimmer. As soon as I press the accelerator to pull away, the headlights are definitely brighter. 

#5 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 23 January 2020 - 12:47 PM

I had a similar issue recently when I swapped to a center speedo, didn't have an ignition light on but noticed my tach was bouncing all over and not reading correctly. Occasionally the car would sputter and feel funny as well. I rewired the tach twice and the problem still persisted, it ended up being a loose connector on my ignition coil, it still clicked when connected but had a bunch of wiggle to it, I swapped the connector and all has been well since. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users