#1 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 04:23 PM

Afternoon all,

I have an issue with my spotlights and hoping someone can (pardon the pun) shed some light on it.

I installed my spotlights a year ago and up until now I have had them connected via a switch to operate them. Today I thought that I would wire them up properly so they are switched on via with the main beam using a signal from the blue/white wire to the relay.

The issue I have is that when I switch the main beam off the spotlights stay on. Having checked the blue/white wire there appears to be around 4-5 volts running through it even when the man beam is off. Would this cause the issue? If so how can I work around it?

All wiring is correctly connected.

Thanks in advance

#2 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:04 PM

The 4 to 5 volts you are seeing on the Hi Beam wire (Blue / White) when on Dipped is enough to hold the Relay in.

I'd actually look at the Earth for the Headlights. It sounds to me to be making quite a poor contact somewhere.

#3 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 05:16 PM

I'll have a look at that but the wiring loom is new and so is pretty much everything else. I rebuilt the whole car a year ago and it's only done about 500 miles since. I'll check the earth later tonight. Thanks

#4 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2020 - 07:23 PM

Checked the earths and they're all good. Even ran another earth to somewhere which I knew was good just to check and it's still the same. Could a faulty headlight switch give these symptoms?

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 25 January 2020 - 04:33 AM

Checked the earths and they're all good. Even ran another earth to somewhere which I knew was good just to check and it's still the same. Could a faulty headlight switch give these symptoms?

Hmm,,, OK. I just can't see it being anything else other than a poor Earth, Gotya on the harness being new, but the Earth wire does screw on to the body somewhere.

Find a good reliable earth Point nearby and measure the Voltage Rise on the Earth Wire as close as you can to the Headlight.

It could be the Dipper Switch (on the column) but if these are 'leaky' then usually something like load of a relay Coil is enough to bring it down.

#6 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 25 January 2020 - 12:43 PM

Try removing the bulb in the mainbeam dash light, may be some sort of back feed from the dash.

#7 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:44 PM

Hmm,,, OK. I just can't see it being anything else other than a poor Earth, Gotya on the harness being new, but the Earth wire does screw on to the body somewhere.

Find a good reliable earth Point nearby and measure the Voltage Rise on the Earth Wire as close as you can to the Headlight.

It could be the Dipper Switch (on the column) but if these are 'leaky' then usually something like load of a relay Coil is enough to bring it down.

I'll double check all earths on the car when I have a couple of days off from work but the main ones by the bulkhead behind the washer bottle are good. As for checking for voltage rise, please can you elaborate? Electrics aren't really my thing hence this post.

The switch on the column is new as is 95% off the car lol.

Many thanks

#8 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:44 PM

Try removing the bulb in the mainbeam dash light, may be some sort of back feed from the dash.

Tried that but unfortunately didn't make any difference.

#9 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 07:50 PM

I thought that it might have had something to do with the dim dip function but even removing the resistor and bypassing it didn't make a difference.

Edited by citymarshall, 25 January 2020 - 07:50 PM.

#10 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 01:19 AM

Disconnect the headlamps and see if the problem goes away. If it it does, one of the headlamps does not have a proper earth. Then check with an Ohmmeter from the black wires on the headlamp connector to a good earth point for 0 Ohms.  

#11 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 07:00 PM

Disconnect the headlamps and see if the problem goes away. If it it does, one of the headlamps does not have a proper earth. Then check with an Ohmmeter from the black wires on the headlamp connector to a good earth point for 0 Ohms.

It looks like you're on to something there. I disconnected the headlights and amazingly it worked . The 5 volts miraculously disappeared from the main beam blue/white wire when the dipped beam was on and the spots switched on and off. Then when I checked the earth on each connector they both showed 0.5 ohms . However all the earths on the entire car are showing 0.5 ohms. As previously stated electrics aren't my thing so any help appreciated .

#12 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:12 PM

The headlamp earth point is located together with the other ones between brake servo and the wing. Make sure that there is no paint on the body connection point. The headlights use more current than most other things, therefore the earth connection must have minimal resistance. 

#13 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:22 PM

The headlamp earth point is located together with the other ones between brake servo and the wing. Make sure that there is no paint on the body connection point. The headlights use more current than most other things, therefore the earth connection must have minimal resistance.

Happy with where the earth connection point is. I've even ran an earth direct from the negative terminal on the battery to the earth for the headlights and it's the same. Might be the connection to the H4 plugs which I'll have to check when I have a couple of days off work.

#14 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 January 2020 - 03:42 PM

I have found signs of overheating on the lamps plug,causing poor connection.Steve..

#15 citymarshall

citymarshall

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 08:45 PM

I've managed to sort out the issue but still couldn't find the source. As previously stated every time I put the main beam on the spotlights would come on and would only switch off if I switched the lights off however, I had a H4 HID kit lying around which I had been given so I thought I'd give them a try. Works perfect, side, dipped and main beam and spots now switch on and off when they should.

So now I have not only fully working lights but HID.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users