#1 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 01:33 PM

Hi guys,

so here is the story: my car mini has been consuming water a lot those days and it got me really worried. a blown head gasket is never fun. but the thing is: it was using a lot of water even for head gasket and I had no blue/white smoke at the exhaust, appart from the normal start-up smoke that you get while starting your car when it is -10°C out there (I live in the mountains)

but turns out that it's my heater that has been leaky: I noticed for instance that after a while with heater on and turning on the demister fan, I actual got mist through the demister vents. I mean, like smoky mist, almost fog.  :proud:

now I realized that if I pass a rag along the edge of my heater unit, I got water. so my guess is this is where water is going.

it must be a tiny leak, but it's there.

So I think it's time either to replace the heater matrix. or to go for a low footprint heater. I was considering T7 Design for that. they seem to have decent products and I know some of you guys had it. so I was wondering, what's your take on the K7 Design unit ?

and are there any other units that you may recommand ?

cheers !

Ben. 

Edited by Benoit_Dupont, 25 January 2020 - 01:45 PM.

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 January 2020 - 05:07 PM

Overhaul the standard heater, it will function perfectly well with a new matrix and fresh foam.

#3 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 06:50 PM

Overhaul the standard heater, it will function perfectly well with a new matrix and fresh foam.

Thank you !

#4 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 25 January 2020 - 09:28 PM

Thank you !

No problem, try Minispares for your components or even Ebay, once you have part numbers

#5 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 25 January 2020 - 11:05 PM

I'd also go for a new matrix and foam and overhaul what you have the matrix elements are quite long lasting and a reasonable price eBay sell them as well and you might even get a cheaper postage.

#6 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 January 2020 - 10:50 AM

I looked into T7 and other aftermarket heaters for my MGB,Fresh air feed was missing on them all at the time.One supplier hinted that as they were mainly used on Kitcars as they are mandated to be fitted but not necessarily work well that it was not needed.I still have the original heater fitted.Steve..

#7 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

Thanks for your inputs ! To be fair, the only Time i use this thing is demist. That's the only reason for me to have a heater.

#8 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 26 January 2020 - 11:15 AM

I found demisting with only a recirculating heater to be less than effective,hence the fresh air feed requirement,I too find heating the car secondary.Steve..

#9 Benoit_Dupont

Benoit_Dupont

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts

Posted 26 January 2020 - 09:38 PM

So it Can be LESS effective than the original ? OMG :)

#10 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:28 AM

The old recirculating heaters fitted to MK1s etc were known as fug stirrers with good reason.

I find even in my daily driver on the odd occasion I switch the heater to recirculating when following a particularly smelly diesel. The air becomes very stale very quickly.

The standard heater with a clean and well sealed matrix is good and I think that's the way to go. My only criticism is the one speed fan. If only they fitted multiple speed ones earlier.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users