#1 PaulSmithRich

PaulSmithRich

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 January 2020 - 11:33 PM

Hi,

I want to replace the rear speakers on my Paul Smith, however i don't want to butcher the parcel shelf if possible.

Has anyone found and fitted any speakers in the existing 3 mounting holes or utilised the 3 holes with some other fixing option?

Suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 Tim61

Tim61

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 January 2020 - 02:16 PM

Hi PaulSmithRich,

I have a Paul Smith Mini too, I actually want to go the other way to you and remove a pair of very large Pioneer oval speakers and fit some that look more in keeping and closer to the original. To answer you question, as long as you as buy speakers of the same diameter  as the original the holes should line up, if not you can drill them to ligne up in the speaker.

I need to replace my parcel shelf, can you let me know what material your parcel shelf covering is trimmed in, mine is vinyl but Mini Spare only list a carpeted version for MPI cars?

#3 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 15 March 2020 - 07:23 AM

I'd also really like to find some suggestions for this as I'm struggling myself after countless hours of attempted research. No manufacturer seems to cater for anyone with less than four screw holes.

#4 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 09:10 AM

I have the same issue, my original,speakers were shot so for now I've bought a new pair of o/e speakers.

As well as the 3 hole mount problem, the speaker chassis & magnet is unusually small for the overall diameter and I found that similar diameter speakers won't fit into the holes in the steel shelf. When I get time my intention is to use a spacer ring as an adapter, fasten the ring to the shelf using the original 3 holes then fasten new speakers to the rings rather than bolting through. Adapter rings would also add a little height which will help with the restricted hole size. Another thought is to add a slightly thicker complete shelf.

#5 rich_959

rich_959

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 09:43 AM

I tried a few different speakers and found a couple that would mount into two of the three holes securely without drilling the shelf, but It was more difficult to fit the standard covers (if you're going for the OE look). Mine isn't a purists car, but in the end I didn't like the aftermarket grilles on show so went for a plain black acoustic parcel shelf cover from Automotive. It means you can fit whatever speakers you like, then the plain black shelf goes over the top and nothing is on show.

#6 Andrew Terry

Andrew Terry

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 08:40 PM

I'm also in need of help on this, I want to replace the original speakers on my SPi. I'd like to refurb and keep the original covers. I've looked at previous posts but none of the speakers mentioned seem to be available anymore.

I'd go for o\e speakers in the meantime if someone can point me towards some.

Thx

#7 Tumbleweed-Connection

Tumbleweed-Connection

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 10:25 PM

I’d give up on the idea of reusing the grille covers. From what I found, the factory speaker grilles are attached directly to the main speaker body.

It’s as has been said previously - the best idea is to have a mounting bracket made to fit to the original three holes and then attach the speakers to that.

#8 PaulSmithRich

PaulSmithRich

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 04:15 PM

So today i finished off my install of new speakers. I used Pioneer TS-G670 (£19 from Halfords) plus some speaker covers i found as close to OEM as possible (£14.19 from InCarTec.co.uk). I measured the original 3 hole positions and drilled new (5mm) holes in the speakers. They are on a 144mm PCD.

The speakers fit inside the covers and all got bolted to the rear shelf with black M5 button head bolts and nuts.(£3.29 off eBay.)

Zero modifications to the parcel shelf.

Attached File  23418BA4-C59C-40B0-A93F-3E61B640E013.JPG   51.24K   48 downloads

Attached File  97B57520-8B3B-46D3-9511-9A72CED4876D.JPG   67.33K   35 downloads

Attached File  66BD3BB0-5E09-4DC1-BB42-3E8F18C3A209.JPG   72.74K   20 downloads

Attached File  B56472B7-935B-40D0-BE89-CC3CC7B7C85E.JPG   59.9K   18 downloads

#9 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 05:44 PM

So today i finished off my install of new speakers. I used Pioneer TS-G670 (£19 from Halfords) plus some speaker covers i found as close to OEM as possible (£14.19 from InCarTec.co.uk). I measured the original 3 hole positions and drilled new (5mm) holes in the speakers. They are on a 144mm PCD.

The speakers fit inside the covers and all got bolted to the rear shelf with black M5 button head bolts and nuts.(£3.29 off eBay.)

Zero modifications to the parcel shelf.

Looks like you've found a solution for a lot of us, Richard!

Any code on the speaker grilles from InCarTec?

I've tried finding them on their website, with no success.

I'd like to get an order in, before the rush, thanks.

Edited by Quinlan minor, 24 May 2020 - 04:31 PM.

#10 Tones61

Tones61

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:03 PM

YouTube,
Classic mini workshop project sprout pt75

#11 PaulSmithRich

PaulSmithRich

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:12 PM

Yes, credit to Project Sprout for the choice of speakers. However i didn't want to sacrifice and butcher the original speakers like that so found another solution with new bolts and similar covers.

Speaker covers code is SPK-G-165

Attached Files

Edited by PaulSmithRich, 23 May 2020 - 06:20 PM.

#12 PaulSmithRich

PaulSmithRich

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:16 PM

These are the nuts and bolts from eBay.

Attached Files

#13 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 960 posts

Posted 23 May 2020 - 06:38 PM

All parts ordered.

Thanks again, Richard!

Edited by Quinlan minor, 24 May 2020 - 04:31 PM.

#14 Bobbins

Bobbins

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,327 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 08:48 AM

How far away are the original grills from fitting the Pioneer speakers, is it a depth issue?

#15 PaulSmithRich

PaulSmithRich

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 24 May 2020 - 12:51 PM

How far away are the original grills from fitting the Pioneer speakers, is it a depth issue?

I have not been able to separate them from the original speakers. Didn't want to pull too hard and crack them.

However, I believe they don't have mounting holes in them so only snap onto the original frame of the speakers.

On YouTube project sprout he cut all the original speakers up to re-use the mounting ring with the original captive bolts. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users