#1 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 06:54 AM

95 cooper SPI

Long story short I dropped the TPC and it's now got bits rattling around inside. A little shocked by the cost of a replacement. Can anyone suggest a cunning Plan B, or will I have to bite the bullet?

Second question, when refitting the TPC circlip, is it necessary to flatten the curved copper disc with the circlip to get the circlip, and compensator, into their correct positions?

Thanks

Edited by Ethel, 05 January 2024 - 12:45 PM.
Title edited for clarity

#2 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:22 AM

Bump . I'll probably have to go for a new item unless anyone can suggest an alternative plan. Thanks

#3 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 02 February 2020 - 11:30 AM

http://www.theminifo...nsator-spi-tpc/

#4 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:12 PM

I have a few used ones that worked when removed and don’t rattle. Drop me a message if you want one, £25 posted.

Yes the circlip needs to hold down the springing bits, you don’t want fuel leaking on to the hot exhaust manifold below it...

#5 Elwyn

Elwyn

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:19 PM

I have a few used ones that worked when removed and don’t rattle. Drop me a message if you want one, £25 posted.

Yes the circlip needs to hold down the springing bits, you don’t want fuel leaking on to the hot exhaust manifold below it...

So you still have any of these at £25 as I think I need one too?

#6 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 03:58 PM

So you still have any of these at £25 as I think I need one too?

Replied to your message too, but I don't have any at the moment. Finding working ones is rare at the moment too.

#7 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 05:59 PM

Norton from the german miniforum repaired this by use of an peltier element.He wrote:" In order to get the 30 x 30mm element into the hedgehog, you have to mill out the cast part a bit. Thanks to my lid a solvable problem. I also milled out the two sprues and replaced them with two M 4x 20 mm countersunk screws. The element is inserted with thermal paste and fixed with the inner contact tongue."

Attached Files

#8 orac69

orac69

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 December 2022 - 09:11 PM

As a new one is £130 - but none in stock anywhere - I've decided to try this fix myself using a peltier element.

It was tricky to get the hedgehog open. Now it's open the rattling part is a 3mm thick disc made of some kind of metal, attached to the hedgehog with a thermal paste. I will take some pics shortly.

Anyone know what it is or how to analyse it?

The easiest fix would be just to replace this disc

Edited by orac69, 17 December 2022 - 09:14 PM.

#9 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:42 AM

What exactly does this do?Steve..

#10 orac69

orac69

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:47 AM

They control the fuel pressure based on temperature apparently.  A non-working one makes the car hard to start in cold weather.  Its installed in the underside of the inlet manifold.

#11 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:50 AM

Thanks,seems like an unusual method of cold start enrichment.Steve..

#12 orac69

orac69

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 10:02 AM

Just in case anyone is at all interested, here are pictures of a broken TPC which was rattling, its been opened and the contents out.   The broken / rattling part is actually a small disc of metal, fixed in place with thermal paste.    It looks very much like the material grinder discs are made from, very brittle - hence why its shattered.  

If someone could work out what this metal was, and source replacements it would be easier than wiring in a peltier element - or spending a fortune on a replacement!

Attached File  WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 09.51.29.jpg   9.54K   10 downloadsAttached File  WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 09.51.22.jpg   13.52K   10 downloadsAttached File  WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 09.51.13.jpg   13.68K   7 downloadsAttached File  WhatsApp Image 2022-12-18 at 09.51.04.jpg   17.35K   11 downloads

#13 orac69

orac69

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 07:45 AM

An update in case anyone is interested.  As per previous post recommendation I bought a £5 peltier element off of ebay and replaced the heater element with that.  A bit of fettling with a dremel taking out a small bit of material to make it fit, but it works great and cheap as chips.

#14 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 06:10 AM

By the way : it is called Manifold PTC heater

#15 adamspud

adamspud

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 23 December 2023 - 07:33 PM

Hi all,

I know this is an 'old' post, but I'm looking at buying a 96 spi that has no temp gauge reading and seems to lack power/not a spritely as it should be.

I've been told this is likely to be a cause/one of the causes.

If so - is this https://www.ebay.co....QsAAOSwjy1fOXbj the 'peltier' element - and is it a case of fitting as per the description above?

TIA

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users