11 replies to this topic

#1 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:17 AM

What's the best way to fit new roof gutter trim ? I'm struggling at the moment to get it to curve round nicely can you warm it up in hot water to make it easier ?

#2 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 31 January 2020 - 10:46 AM

That's how I did it a big bucket of hot water - but it doesn't take long for it to cool again once the trim is out of the water. The trim is very springy and easy to kink if you're not careful. You should be able to get the first couple of metres on before the trim cools down and goes stiff so a hair dryer is useful for forming the trim around the corners, less fun than pouring hot water everywhere but at least you stay dry.

#3 I hate Brian

I hate Brian

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 770 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 12:34 PM

Cheers Panky will give it a go mate

#4 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:29 PM

When I did mine I used a hair dryer to warm it to form the corners. Mine was a black plastic trim and I cut it to be and exact fit at the ends now a few years down the line it has shrunk in the sun and there is a gap of about an inch!

#5 panky

panky

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,776 posts
  • Local Club: Northwest Casual Classics

Posted 31 January 2020 - 01:41 PM

I did put a joiner over the gap but as you say they do shrink after a while, I kept the bit I trimmed off just in case but no doubt will have lost when I need it :shy:

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:49 PM

In all honesty, unless you are wanting the car to be absolutely original, it is best to leave this trim off as it is simply a 'rust-generator'.

#7 roblightbody

roblightbody

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 04:39 PM

Hi,

My Mini has its original (or original spec) roof trim on it.  Its black, and shaped like two large C shapes and joins up via clips at the front and the back.  Its metal, and has neat cutouts in the corners for the drains.  its perfect, fits beautifully EXCEPT its too short for the clips that I have!  If I get the front clip on, then the gap is too big at the back for the clip to cover, and vice versa if I get the rear clip on.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Seems weird.... maybe my Mini's roof is too big...

So I ordered the Mini spares roof trim to try and just tried to fit it just now and gave up - I think its nasty (compared to the original anyway) and has no cutouts for the corners.  Its actually as I expected it to be if I'm honest, but it was cheap enough to try while ordering some other bits and bobs.

The original factory trim must have been on every Mini for at least 30 years (?)... does nobody make it?  And why is mine too short!!

Thanks,

- Rob

#8 petey81

petey81

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,248 posts

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:20 PM

Try Phoenix trim. Great products

#9 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 07 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

Hi,

My Mini has its original (or original spec) roof trim on it.  Its black, and shaped like two large C shapes and joins up via clips at the front and the back.  Its metal, and has neat cutouts in the corners for the drains.  its perfect, fits beautifully EXCEPT its too short for the clips that I have!  If I get the front clip on, then the gap is too big at the back for the clip to cover, and vice versa if I get the rear clip on.  Has anyone else had this problem?  Seems weird.... maybe my Mini's roof is too big...

So I ordered the Mini spares roof trim to try and just tried to fit it just now and gave up - I think its nasty (compared to the original anyway) and has no cutouts for the corners.  Its actually as I expected it to be if I'm honest, but it was cheap enough to try while ordering some other bits and bobs.

The original factory trim must have been on every Mini for at least 30 years (?)... does nobody make it?  And why is mine too short!!

Thanks,

- Rob

The best black plastic roof trim is from Pheonix trim. 10 minutes in boiling water and it goes straight on.

A9Ffm6G.jpg

#10 minidizzy

minidizzy

Super Mini Mad

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 613 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC, Mini Cooper Register

Posted 07 July 2020 - 11:18 PM

Hi,

Thanks,

- Rob

Apart from the question about the gap, which I cannot answer, you are correct about the two large C shapes. They are no longer available. I had heard that South Lakeland Mini Centre had the tooling but that it was uneconomical to make them in small numbers.

#11 YJO

YJO

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 03 April 2021 - 09:46 AM

Hi, would a recommendation be to split the trim into two sections as opposed to a single run with the joint front or rear ? .Also is it worth applying any light adhesive?

#12 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 06 April 2021 - 12:23 AM

Hi, would a recommendation be to split the trim into two sections as opposed to a single run with the joint front or rear ? .Also is it worth applying any light adhesive?

Why would you purposely make it 2 pieces? It's better as one. If installed properly, it'll never come off.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users