#1 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:43 PM

My car never had one fitted, its a 1974 Mk2, so no reverse light on the cluster or even an aux one. All these years later I am going to fit one, following a near miss and a very bemused young driver (who could not understand car was going backwards yet no reverse light...). 

I am not even sure if the gearbox has the switch. On the same page as the lovely shiny aux reverse light (carbuilder) are pull switches. Will this be ok when it comes to MoT if I connect the reverse light to a manual switch in place of having the automatic switch at the gearbox side. (the loom has the plugs for them, but I tucked them away when I fitted a new loom 5+ years ago).

#2 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 04:48 PM

My car never had one fitted, its a 1974 Mk2, so no reverse light on the cluster or even an aux one. All these years later I am going to fit one, following a near miss and a very bemused young driver (who could not understand car was going backwards yet no reverse light...). 

I am not even sure if the gearbox has the switch. On the same page as the lovely shiny aux reverse light (carbuilder) are pull switches. Will this be ok when it comes to MoT if I connect the reverse light to a manual switch in place of having the automatic switch at the gearbox side. (the loom has the plugs for them, but I tucked them away when I fitted a new loom 5+ years ago).

Reverse light isnt part of MOT however i dont know if the whole " if fitted needs to work" will apply. 

I read that Mid 70s was Rod change, have you got remote gear change then ? 

Another resource says all minis rod change from 73...... If you have rod change reverse switch is in the exhaust tunnel where the gear stick connects to rods 

Edited by phillrulz, 31 January 2020 - 04:52 PM.

#3 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

• TMF+ Member
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 05:50 PM

Reversing lights don't have to work for the MOT except for cars first used from 1/9/09.

A manual switch is fine but you need to fit a tell-tale warning lamp.

#4 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 31 January 2020 - 07:16 PM

I think a 74 should have the rod change box in which case it should have a plastic plug in the small box under the gear stick where the rev light switch fits. My 75 did and it's a bit fiddly but pretty simple to fit and wire up.

#5 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 01 February 2020 - 04:12 PM

Hi all, quick update.. the box has a switch and found the wires in the loom. All good. I bought one of the lights pictured. Where and how to mount it? 

Attached Files

#6 MrE812

MrE812

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
  • Local Club: ELMOC

Posted 13 February 2020 - 07:15 PM

hey matey, bit late responding, so many threads to get through...

Hopefully you already figured out that the reverse light on many cars is mounted nearside (passenger side) rear, often under the bumper or off a bracket.

with any luck it'll let you see the kerbs and stuff at the back?

update us - photos or it didn't happen!!

#7 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:54 AM

I’ve not touched the job since posting!! Been busy with other non car bits. But yes, appreciate the advice about near side mounting it. Will have a look again in the week if I get time.

#8 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 08:30 AM

Have decided not to use the one I bought, but to see if I can use a front indicator unit with a clear glass lens and white bulb. Looking at towing power socket brackets to use for mounting it..

#9 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:23 AM

Have decided not to use the one I bought, but to see if I can use a front indicator unit with a clear glass lens and white bulb. Looking at towing power socket brackets to use for mounting it..

If you're going down that route, I'd recommend putting a Super White LED bulb in it.

#10 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:51 PM

Will that fit the holder? I was looking through my box of bits and found a complete (two actually) front indicator complete units. So just need a clear glass lens. As luck would have it, I was in halfords today and walked past the towing and trailer bit, to my sheer surprise and luck, they sell Ring branded power socket holders, and wouldn’t you know they are a perfect fit for the mini indicator unit!! 

#11 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:54 PM

Like this...

Attached Files

#12 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 988 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:23 PM

Will that fit the holder?

You can get LEDs in pretty much all auto fittings. Canbus is totally unnecessary on a Mini.

Much cheaper online, usually.

#13 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 23 February 2020 - 03:39 PM

Great, just found a company that deals with LED conversions and everything in between.. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users