#1 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

hey all

I got my hands on a 3.44 FD pre A+ crownwheel and want to install it on my 1990 A+ gearbox with a minispares x-pin diff.

Do i need to get a pre A+ pinion too or does it fit with an A+ pinion, or will a pre A+ setup (crown and pinion) not work at all on my new X-pin diff and A+ gearbox?

thanks

#2 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,761 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:31 PM

hey all

I got my hands on a 3.44 FD pre A+ crownwheel and want to install it on my 1990 A+ gearbox with a minispares x-pin diff.

Do i need to get a pre A+ pinion too or does it fit with an A+ pinion, or will a pre A+ setup (crown and pinion) not work at all on my new X-pin diff and A+ gearbox?

thanks

YES. "Crown wheel & pinion" means a matched pair, 'crown wheels and pinions' is generally taken to mean assorted cogs.

You need a matching pinion to go with your recently acquired crown wheel, what ever set up you have, X pin or bog standard.

Edited by DeadSquare, 02 February 2020 - 02:45 PM.

#3 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 02:41 PM

hey all

thanks

YES.

yes to what?

#4 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 857 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 03:50 PM

I think he answered your question O_O

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 02 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

The Helix Angle and Tooth profiles were different between A and A+ in final Drive Gears, so, YES you will need an 'A' type Pinion.

The 'A' type were plain where as the A+ had 'line' ground in across the tips of the teeth to make them easier to distinguish.

#6 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 05:02 PM

The Helix Angle and Tooth profiles were different between A and A+ in final Drive Gears, so, YES you will need an 'A' type Pinion.

The 'A' type were plain where as the A+ had 'line' ground in across the tips of the teeth to make them easier to distinguish.

perfect thank you. the answer I was looking for!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users