18 replies to this topic

#16 touranasaurus

touranasaurus

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:56 PM

Thanks guys for the additional comments.

Timing was set to factory spec using timing light once engine was running. This was 9 deg. Engine ran fine but wouldn't consistently crank at proper speed. Timing retarded to 6 deg, still runs ok (maybe a little down on power) still intermittent slow cranking speed. 

I have now put the Ducellier points dizzy back in set timing to 8 deg, engine starts, runs fine and cranks at proper speed everytime. Dizzy has been returned to Minispares who are sending it to be tested as I think its faulty.

#17 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:04 PM

When the timing is too far advanced it starts to crank OK and then just about comes to a dead stop on some of the firing strokes, then usually with crank OK again, until it gets to that next firing stroke. It does need to be a fair way advanced for this to occur.

Given that you don't experience pinking etc, I don't think this is the issue.

I suspect it's in the starting circuit somewhere. It might take a few goes at it given it's an intermittent issue, but I'd be doing a volt drop test across all the connections, solenoid etc. Keep in mind too, that this could well be a crimped connection or poor soldered joint between a cable and it's lug.

Had a similar problem with my car but didn't consider a voltage drop.  Had a spare solenoid on the shelf and installed it-solved the problem.  Pulled the old solenoid apart and found both contacts to the large terminals were corroded and burnt.  Thanks for the tip.

#18 floormanager

floormanager

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Club Sussex

Posted 05 June 2020 - 06:21 PM

I'm actually wondering if either the dissy has been set too far advanced or if the advance mech is jammed.

I had this with my S.  The advance had stuck.  Had the dizzy rebuilt by the Distributor Doctor.

#19 touranasaurus

touranasaurus

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 28 June 2020 - 10:26 AM

Have been using the original Duceiller dizzy now for 4 months and the engine is cranking, starting and running fine. I conclude it was a faulty electronic distributor as all the other components; Battery, battery cables, earth leads, starter cables, starter motor  and solenoid are unchanged. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users