21 replies to this topic

#16 AP2020

AP2020

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 07:41 PM

using a lathe for this type of bush is not the way to go,..

It should be honed, as honing is far more accurate and is far better at producing round holes than a lathe ever will. but also creates a cross hatch pattern that is much better at oil retention, there will always be a little oil escaping between the tail and bush.

The larger the clearance the more oil that can escape, so too loose and you get oil leakage, too tight and you get seizing and resultant damage. 

The new old stock gear I used didn't appear to have any honing markings on it.

Honing can be from quite course to very fine ie a diamond polish finish with no marks to the naked eye, I usually rough them up a little on a honing machine and use a lithium grease the grease stops them from overheating on startup then polishes up to a smoother surface which then reduces friction and any further issues are eliminated

but looking at yours the front bush looks like its a different material, higher copper content, which would also be softer and more prone to damage from load and or heat. 

#17 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:08 AM

It should be honed, as honing is far more accurate and is far better at producing round holes than a lathe ever will. but also creates a cross hatch pattern that is much better at oil retention, there will always be a little oil escaping between the tail and bush.

The larger the clearance the more oil that can escape, so too loose and you get oil leakage, too tight and you get seizing and resultant damage. 

Honing can be from quite course to very fine ie a diamond polish finish with no marks to the naked eye, I usually rough them up a little on a honing machine and use a lithium grease the grease stops them from overheating on startup then polishes up to a smoother surface which then reduces friction and any further issues are eliminated

but looking at yours the front bush looks like its a different material, higher copper content, which would also be softer and more prone to damage from load and or heat. 

The factory recommend Machining and when I worked in a Leyland Approved Workshop, that was also what they asked we do.

qmjgvtM.jpg

The Back Bush is Deva material. It's a special proprietary alloy of Bronze and Graphite. It's what every Mini left the factory with from 1963 to 2000.

#18 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:42 AM

Ah so only the rear bush is Deva.  Interesting to see that the Deva bush in mine is still in perfect condition even though the clearance was too tight whereas the front bush couldn't cope.

#19 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,935 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:32 PM

Ah so only the rear bush is Deva.  Interesting to see that the Deva bush in mine is still in perfect condition even though the clearance was too tight whereas the front bush couldn't cope.

Luckily for you, it wasn't the new age bushes you had in there or you'd also be looking for a crank too.

uT18J9v.jpg

#20 AP2020

AP2020

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:23 AM

The factory recommend Machining and when I worked in a Leyland Approved Workshop, that was also what they asked we do.

qmjgvtM.jpg

The Back Bush is Deva material. It's a special proprietary alloy of Bronze and Graphite. It's what every Mini left the factory with from 1963 to 2000.

That's correct, honing IS machining ! :)

#21 mini13

mini13

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,805 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:54 PM

I thought Honing a bearing was a bad idea due to it being embeddable.

#22 AP2020

AP2020

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 02:53 AM

I thought Honing a bearing was a bad idea due to it being embeddable.

No that's only when you use standard type stones, but there are so many different materials that don't embed that its not an issue.... as long as you actually use the correct stones that is .  Unfortunately there are a lot of people that don't know but think they do.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users