14 replies to this topic

#1 human89

human89

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:13 PM

Just wanted to get your guys opinions on the fresh air vents, Im replacing panels in my 92 1275 and not once have i been driving and opened those vents and actually felt a difference. I was thinking about just getting rid of them. Wondering what you guys think about it.

#2 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,915 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:37 PM

You should get a good dose of air through them when moving at highway speed as they pick up from the high pressure area at the front of the car.  If not something's not right.

I'm planning on fitting some to mine at some point as I've had Minis with them and find it's annoying not having them.

Edited by unburntfuelinthemorning, 03 February 2020 - 05:38 PM.

#3 Pops_Guild

Pops_Guild

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:52 PM

I have a 97 Japan spec SPI and the passenger side gives a lot of air, the driver side not so much but that is because Rover used a much smaller hose from the front of the car on the DS because of Aircon gubbins.

I know some folks block them up or use for speaker mounting on wooden dash but I think you need some sort of fresh air into the car without opening the windows.

#4 bikewiz

bikewiz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Local Club: NEMO

Posted 03 February 2020 - 05:52 PM

The dash vents work pretty well, however on my '92 left hand drive, depending on a few things, I can get warm air from the left hand vent as the hose runs under the wing (fender over here) near the radiator. The right hand definitely supplies plenty of cool breeze at speed enough so when it's a little cool out my wife closes it.

#5 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:32 PM

My '72 Mini has fresh air vents and opening rear quarter light windows.

On a warm summers day (quite rare over here most of the time!) with the vents and rear windows open, you get plenty of fresh air even at fairly low speeds. Once on a dual carriageway or motorway at above 60 mph, there's an absolute gale blowing through the vents and I actually prefer this to modern day air-con!

So my vote would be to keep them!

Cheers, Steve.

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 798 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:55 PM

Check your hoses are clear but if you do decide to remove then make sure you close the holes in the bulkhead with the blanking plates.

#7 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:26 PM

....not once have i been driving and opened those vents and actually felt a difference....

That shouldn't be possible      -perhaps you have a mudpuppy wedged up your pipe!

.... although it's more likely that the eyeball felt has been displaced & is blocking the air flow, or that the foam liner inside the pipes has collapsed. Choose a day your not doing anything & strip, inspect, & clean the system.

#8 human89

human89

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:02 AM

....not once have i been driving and opened those vents and actually felt a difference....

That shouldn't be possible -perhaps you have a mudpuppy wedged up your pipe!
.... although it's more likely that the eyeball felt has been displaced & is blocking the air flow, or that the foam liner inside the pipes has collapsed. Choose a day your not doing anything & strip, inspect, & clean the system.

#9 human89

human89

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:03 AM

So I just check it out. Yeah it looks like the felt or foam insert was blocking it. Should I replace the foam insert or just leave it empty

#10 human89

human89

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:05 AM

So I just check it out. Yeah it looks like the felt or foam insert was blocking it. Should I replace the foam insert or just leave it empty

#11 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:25 PM

I took the collapsed foam out, washed it and then stapled it back into place. Not really convinced it does much though.

#12 JonnyAlpha

JonnyAlpha

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Local Club: Exmoor Minis

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:36 PM

Don't do what I did, I never got around to re-fitting the passenger side Air Vent ducting. Went through some really bad weather coming back from Castle Combe last year went through a really deep puddle and actually saw a wave coming through the air vent!!!

Hose it or block it :-)

#13 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 03:36 PM

Don't do what I did, I never got around to re-fitting the passenger side Air Vent ducting. Went through some really bad weather coming back from Castle Combe last year went through a really deep puddle and actually saw a wave coming through the air vent!!!

Hose it or block it :-)

I had a similar issue with my driver side, didn't realize the hose was missing on it when I got the car and was getting sprayed with water while driving in heavy rain. 

#14 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,725 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:14 AM

Pleased I read this,I am refitting these pipes myself and had thought of removing the dirty foam.Now I know why it is there and will reuse it.Thanks,Steve..

#15 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 06 February 2020 - 09:07 AM

I removed mine and bought the cover plates, I sealed then in place with seam sealer and screws. never looked back and I can wash the area when I clean the car. no areas for dirty/mud to get stuck(rust trap)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users