Photo

Front Floorpan Repairs + What Other Parts?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 eilz1999

eilz1999

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:56 PM

Hi, I am aiming to get my mini back on the road for the summer. It’s a 1980 mini 1000 saloon. It needs bodywork repair, mainly to the floorpans due to rust. See attached photos. Very similar issues on both sides.

I’ll get the welding/repair work done with someone who previously changed the rear subframe a few years ago. I’m a little worried about which parts I need for this job. I know I need the front repair floor plans and the bottom parts of the the flitch but I’m not too sure what else I need, especially in the bottom corners when it meets the doors. Any sill parts?

Is anyone able to give me a list of parts that I am likely to need? Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached Files

#2 Wreckitralph1

Wreckitralph1

Formally known as wreckitralph

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 127 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 12:52 AM

firstly i would get a wire wheel on a grinder on it and clean it all back to bare metal see what you have then those floors are really prety good  i see the patch on the inner sill so a full length inner sill [not the one with the cutout for x member] or make your own peice you maay be surprised how well it cleans up butyou could get away with localised repaires i think ide only change the minimum amount maybe the front half  of the front floor from in front of the ribs forward to the toeboard but clean it back first then you can make a decision i genuinely think that will come up a treart with minor repairs needed

Edited by Wreckitralph1, 04 February 2020 - 01:37 AM.

#3 eilz1999

eilz1999

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 04:48 PM

My local garage has recommended a welder. He’s had a look at it and he’s quoted £250. This seems low to me. I said that I wanted long-term protection and he said that this should be possible with patch repairs instead of replacement panel parts. I’m only going by the recommendation of my local garage but I’d like a second opinion from this forum as I’m a little cautious about proceeding. I’ve included a few more photos and the results of my Mot fail. Any help is much appreciated.

* Nearside Front Lower Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting inner wheel adjacent subframe mounting (6.2.2 (d) (i))
* Offside Front Lower Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting inner wheel arch adjacent to subframe mounting (6.2.2 (d) (i))
* Nearside Front Lower Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting a pillar (holed) (6.2.2 (d) (i))
* Offside Front Lower Integral body structure or chassis has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of a body mounting a pillar (holed) (6.2.2 (d) (i))
* Nearside Front Outer Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced lower side sill (6.1.1 © (i))
* Offside Front Outer Integral body structure corroded to the extent that the rigidity of the assembly is significantly reduced lower side sill (6.1.1 © (i))

Attached Files

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:00 PM

Judging by the state of those outer sills plus the numerous patches i would be chinning those off. So moving fwd i would be looking at M machines inner sills to first flute to start with.

They do a combination outer / inner sill version as well.

Now that will clear away most of the rust you have there. The lower flitches need replacing as well, so you can either fabricate replacement sections or buy the Magnum flitches. Not that expensive to be honest.   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users