26 replies to this topic

#1 Rallye67

Rallye67

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:20 PM

hi got a 1998 cooper , fan is a bit noisy  stripped heater out & noticed resistor is broken .... it is a resistor isnt it?

struggling to find one  , any  help much appreciated 

Attached Files

#2 Rallye67

Rallye67

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 03:35 PM

or if anyone knows the value  could i put a resistor in ?

#3 jaysmini1983

jaysmini1983

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  • Local Club: West Country Mini's

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:17 PM

google is your friend.

http://www.minispare...ck to catalogue

#4 Rallye67

Rallye67

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:26 PM

google is your friend.

http://www.minispare...ck to catalogue

I rang them & they said they didnt do it !!!! 

#5 Rallye67

Rallye67

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 04:29 PM

can't  believe this is £42  .... its a bit of coiled fuse wire !!!!

#6 Stevie W

Stevie W

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,188 posts
  • Local Club: P&SMOC

Posted 04 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

Just checked Minispares website and they have it in stock, although I agree £42 seems a bit steep!

Cheers, Steve.

#7 ClassicBRG

ClassicBRG

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:19 PM

Is there no alternative, for example by soldering a resistor in between?

#8 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 07:35 PM

I've fitted a resistor from a rover 200/400/600/25/45 MG zr/zs to a SPI heater, would be pretty much the same do on an MPI. 

https://www.ebay.co....872.m2749.l2649

So one of the winter improvements was the heater, I modified it so that it would fit flush with no dash rail padding fitted (pics of it a few pages back) but when the fan was switched on it would push the mechanism down to the car position  :whistling:. So with a bit more thinking, the mechanism was improved so now it stays in the position it should. Another thing with the single speed SPI heater it's fast and noisy so I wanted to change it to a 2 speed heater like the MPI (1 of only 3 good things about them, The others being the seats and the intermittent wiper switch :w00t:) So I had a look at how the MPI heaters were slowed which is just a resistor fitted into the heater so the fan cools the resistor when it's on. I had a look on ebay and found a rover one clicky  which when it turned up, was a bit big.

AgWpiib.jpg

ho04ONx.jpg

Not a problem though...

Just needs to be cut to these sizes, I cut a template from card then placed it on the heater where it needed to be and traced and cut a hole for the resistors to go through. notice the corner cut off for the clips to attach still. We found it had to be cut to one side as the resistors were close to the heater body.

UywktUq.jpg

UZdD43e.jpg

SIADEyY.jpg

Once the holes cut I drilled the mounting holes. ignore the black screw, bit of trial and error...  I powerfiled a curve on the side to curve with the heater body and cut a rubber seal out of a bicycle inner tube.

BhJgL2r.jpg

clearance to the fan.

O63G24k.jpg

CLeJtUi.jpg

We temporarily wired it up the H and L terminals which with full power gives the 12v and on the other speed is 8v which I think is roughly what the MPI speed is. Now I just need to wire it fully into the car.

#9 Rallye67

Rallye67

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:21 PM

well you'd think so  , just trying to find the wattage of the motor 

#10 Rallye67

Rallye67

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:23 PM

Steve 220  posted this back in 2017  , 

I've got another twin speed heater unit here but the resistor has snapped. I've also got the original from the car and my plan is to replace the dated curly wire resistor with either a wirewound or metal film one.

My days or electronics and maths are behind me so thought i'd ask here. A few facts to lay down first.

Motor - 12v 1amp (as per wiring diagrams and research)

Resistor on working unit - fluctuates between 3.6-4 when set to 200 on multimeter.

Don't know what wattage resistor i will need - or in fact what resistor i will need.

#11 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 10:54 PM

Steve 220  posted this back in 2017  , 

I've got another twin speed heater unit here but the resistor has snapped. I've also got the original from the car and my plan is to replace the dated curly wire resistor with either a wirewound or metal film one.

My days or electronics and maths are behind me so thought i'd ask here. A few facts to lay down first.

Motor - 12v 1amp (as per wiring diagrams and research)

Resistor on working unit - fluctuates between 3.6-4 when set to 200 on multimeter.

Don't know what wattage resistor i will need - or in fact what resistor i will need.

Could just measure diamter of wire, count number of turns on the new one buy some nichrome wire to same spec and solder it on easy. 

#12 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:38 PM

I've fitted a resistor from a rover 200/400/600/25/45 MG zr/zs to a SPI heater, would be pretty much the same do on an MPI. 

So one of the winter improvements was the heater, I modified it so that it would fit flush with no dash rail padding fitted (pics of it a few pages back) but when the fan was switched on it would push the mechanism down to the car position  :whistling:. So with a bit more thinking, the mechanism was improved so now it stays in the position it should. Another thing with the single speed SPI heater it's fast and noisy so I wanted to change it to a 2 speed heater like the MPI (1 of only 3 good things about them, The others being the seats and the intermittent wiper switch :w00t:) So I had a look at how the MPI heaters were slowed which is just a resistor fitted into the heater so the fan cools the resistor when it's on. I had a look on ebay and found a rover one clicky  which when it turned up, was a bit big.

AgWpiib.jpg

ho04ONx.jpg

Not a problem though...

Just needs to be cut to these sizes, I cut a template from card then placed it on the heater where it needed to be and traced and cut a hole for the resistors to go through. notice the corner cut off for the clips to attach still. We found it had to be cut to one side as the resistors were close to the heater body.

UywktUq.jpg

UZdD43e.jpg

SIADEyY.jpg

Once the holes cut I drilled the mounting holes. ignore the black screw, bit of trial and error...  I powerfiled a curve on the side to curve with the heater body and cut a rubber seal out of a bicycle inner tube.

BhJgL2r.jpg

clearance to the fan.

O63G24k.jpg

CLeJtUi.jpg

We temporarily wired it up the H and L terminals which with full power gives the 12v and on the other speed is 8v which I think is roughly what the MPI speed is. Now I just need to wire it fully into the car.

Have you got a rough wiring diagram of the completed heater connected up?

Why did you pick that spot to site the resistor as opposed to where the factory one is fitted. Was it the size of the resistor that dictated that?

Edited by MikeRotherham, 05 February 2020 - 12:50 PM.

#13 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:38 PM

Not a problem though...

clearance to the fan.

Have you got a rough wiring diagram of the completed heater connected up?

Why did you pick that spot to site the resistor as opposed to where the factory one is fitted. Was it the size of the resistor that dictated that?

I don't think I do but can get one sorted in the next couple of days, I've got 2 switches though, one for on and off , one for low and high speed. Shouldn't be that much different.

I can't remember why, I think it was to give better air flow over the resistor to cool it down. 

#14 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 08:09 AM

Thanks for the responses.

I think the job is great and one that I've been thinking about doing for a while.

#15 alex-95

alex-95

I am THE CLAMP MAKER

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,017 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:14 PM

Thanks for the responses.

I think the job is great and one that I've been thinking about doing for a while.

Heres a quick wiring diagram dad drew. On the top diagram, the light green/orange may be light green/yellow as well. If you get one of these switches (or similar) http://www.minispare...ct/Classic/Elec then The 2 speed MPI diagram can be used. If you get an on/off and a on/on switch then use the "2 switch's" diagram. I hope they make sense, give us a shout if not.

Attached Files

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users