#1 ChrisFord

ChrisFord

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:41 PM

Hi all
I bought a 2000 MPi, a few issues I've found relating to the electrics, shocker I know!
So my left rear indicator doesn't work at all, either via the indicator stalk or the hazards. All other indicator lights work on both. There is a live feed to the bulb socket according to my multimeter and the bulb is new so I'm a bit confused. The interior light doesn't work either but I've not tried changing that bulb yet.
Any advice gratefully received.
Thanks

#2 jonsharman

jonsharman

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:28 AM

Check the bulb is working by trying it in a lamp you know is OK.

If you have a voltage at the live feed (that should drop in and out in time to the flash of the indicators) then the likely cause is the bulb doesn't have a good earth. Give the inside of the holder a good clean with electrical contact cleaner and a small, soft wire brush. Check the earth points on the back of the cluster for signs of damage or poor connections and give them a bit of a wiggle to see if anything is loose or comes to life. You might find access a bit tricky because of the fuel tank.

You can also use a length of wire to create your own earth between the holder and the battery negative terminal. This will tell you if you have a break in the wire etc.

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,724 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 February 2020 - 07:57 AM

Having a voltage with a multimeter does not always tell the whole story.There could be a high resistance poor connection which cannot carry the needed current for the lamp.If the lamp is ok this would be my next call.Steve..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users