Photo
- - - - -

1994 Mini Mayfair - Starter Clicks Following Engine Detailing

Best Answer davidbond007 , 19 February 2020 - 06:23 PM

I soldered the brown wire to a new spade connector on the Starter Relay and the starter worked perfectly - SORTED !!!!! Now starts frst time every time.

I have learned a few things : (1) how to decipher Haynes wiring diagrams (2) Focus on the symptoms / problem not what might have caused them (steam cleaning was the red herring here)  (3) Work through potential causes systematically by tracing wires to components - in this case ignition switch to starter relay then to starter solenoid and starter motor.

Thanks all.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 davidbond007

davidbond007

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 01:50 PM

Hi - I have a 1994 Mini Mayfair and have just steam cleaned the engine block etc. ready for detailing. When I try to start the engine I just get a click. I have tried putting a screwdriver across the solenoid contacts and the starter motor whirs but doesn't turn the engine. I have checked the battery has lost of charge and cant see any blown fuses.

Any ideas - I reckon I have water in the solenoid and the starter and should change both?

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:02 PM

poor earth or a flat battery.

#3 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 02:06 PM

If the battery has a good charge the next thing I'd try is check the connections to the starter and clean them up. If still no luck try drying solenoid and starter slowly with a hair dryer.

Edited by MikeRotherham, 06 February 2020 - 02:06 PM.

#4 davidbond007

davidbond007

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:17 PM

I have swapped the starter and solenoid out for new ones and it is the same - just a click and if I use a screwdriver across the contacts the starter motr whirs but doesn't engage ,the flywheel.

Does anyone have a picture of the wire sthat should be connected to the solenoid? There is nothing connected to the bottom spade connection and thare is a wire that looks like it has come off?

Cpuld it be a bad earth connection - the earth cable from the crankcase looks like it has a break in it?

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,902 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 08 February 2020 - 07:24 PM

If the engine earth strap is broken then it will earth through something else .. usually the choke cable which gets really hot!

There are wiring diagrams on this forum is you search ... or break open the Haynes!

#6 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:12 AM

Is the battery in good condition? Do you have a known good alternative battery to try?

#7 davidbond007

davidbond007

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:24 PM

The battery is new and fully charged

#8 davidbond007

davidbond007

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:26 PM

I have a haynes mnual but no idea how to read wiring diagrams !

#9 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:17 PM

Wiring diagrams are easy. The numbered areas are the component, the wires to it will be colour coded to British Standard

#10 davidbond007

davidbond007

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:06 PM

Thanks - now I have got my head around the wiring diagrams and how they work, which was surprisingly easy although they looked so daunting, I have a clear plan to resolve the starter / solenoid problems:

One of the brown wires to the solenoid is broken (round connector broken off) - replace end connector and reattach to the connection with a nut.

The red and white wire should go to the small spade connection on the solenoid and it is not connected - fit spade connector and reconnect it.

The earth cable from the crankcase is split / frayed - replace with new earth braided cable.

Check / replace the starter relay and check fuses.

Also no bottom solenoid mounting bolt to crankcase- replace with new one.

Watch this space and hoping the above will sort things later this week.

#11 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:50 PM

Thanks - now I have got my head around the wiring diagrams and how they work, which was surprisingly easy although they looked so daunting, I have a clear plan to resolve the starter / solenoid problems:

One of the brown wires to the solenoid is broken (round connector broken off) - replace end connector and reattach to the connection with a nut.
The red and white wire should go to the small spade connection on the solenoid and it is not connected - fit spade connector and reconnect it.
The earth cable from the crankcase is split / frayed - replace with new earth braided cable.

The wiring diagrams are simple to read, just make sure you use the right one as there are no diagrams for the 90's HIF carb cars.

#12 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,482 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:51 PM

The wiring diagrams are simple to read, just make sure you use the right one as there are no diagrams for the 90's HIF carb cars.

#13 davidbond007

davidbond007

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:20 PM

Sadly I have done all I can on this and am yet again clueless - fitted new starter and solenoid, charged new battery, checked connections to solenoid, changes relays. Still nothing just a small click. Could it be the earth cable that runs from the steady bar to the bulkhead? Any other ideas ? Thanks

#14 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,899 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:24 PM

poor earth or a flat battery.

Wwell you have eliminated one of those and have not yet looked at the other and the problem remains. 

it really sounds like it is just a poor earth.

#15 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 10:13 PM

Worth checking battery connections are nice and tight.....my car has just suffered the same after being laid up for winter and had the same problem - connections loose and I was getting a bit worried about solenoid clicking....nipped them up and fired straightaway..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users