#1 maccers

maccers

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,829 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:12 PM

Just bought discs and pads all round for wifes car. Genuine Mercedes parts from local MB dealer. They seem to be coated in a grey, what looks like primer, but easily comes off with brake cleaner or drag a fingernail over it.

I'm wandering if this is just a rust proofing for transit/storage and should be removed before I use them, or some sort of bedding in compound and should be left on the faces of the disc? Seeing as its literally all over the discs I am leaning towards just a rust inhibitor for storage. They did not come in a box, like the pads did, they just had labels on them.

Am more used to getting bike and car discs that look shiny, but coated in grease that needs wiped off. 

Cheers!

Attached Files

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:39 PM

I would be cleaning them right up.

all discs should be cleaned before install.

#3 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 06 February 2020 - 06:54 PM

Yep, I was thinking along these lines. Cheers for advice. Comes off just leaving the brake cleaner spray can next to them..!

#4 r3k1355

r3k1355

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts
  • Local Club: East Anglia

Posted 07 February 2020 - 10:30 AM

Did they come with any instructions??

I had some Bosch brake discs that came with a grey paint on them, you just slapped em on and burn the paint off first time on the brakes.

#5 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 02:26 PM

Nope, I got all the torques etc from a MB forum, but no mention of what to do with the discs. Even the parts counter at MB did not know. I just used some brake cleaner and the stuff runs off the disc. Nice and shiny now...! lol!

#6 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 03:32 PM

Whilst channel flicking last night I cam across one of those 'Supercar Build' type programs that was about the G-wagon. The brake discs on the assembly line looked just like yours and they did nothing to clean them off during the production. I'd guess that the stuff burns off pretty harmlessly like r3k1355 says.

Washing it off as you have will do no harm, although if it was me I'd then be looking to paint the non-friction surfaces so they don't rust and look terrible within weeks.

#7 maccers

maccers

• Members
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:06 PM

I ended up cleaning only the faces of the disc, left the coating on the other non contact parts. The calipers and carriers etc look extra manky now!!

#8 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 12:58 AM

Does your Mercedes have these too? Somebody sent this to me today... :lol:

Taking a wee break from the golf course, Rory Mcllroy drives his new Mercedes into an Irish gas station.  An attendant greets him in a typical Irish manner, unaware who the golf pro is... 

"Top o’ the mornin to ya." As Rory gets out of the car, two tees fall out of his pocket.  "What are those things, laddie?" asks the attendant. 

"They're called tees," replies Rory. "And what would ya be usin 'em for, now?" inquires the Irishman. "Well, they're for resting my balls on when I drive," replies Rory. 

"Aw, Jaysus, Maryan' Joseph!" exclaims the Irish attendant. "Those fellas at Mercedes think of everything."

#9 DavieW

DavieW

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:07 PM

The dealer technicians don't wipe the discs before fitting but I it won't do any harm to clean them before fitting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users