6 replies to this topic

#1 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 07:45 AM

Hi, driving to work and I hear this weird ticking noise, then a clattering noise and the oil light comes on and just as was able to drive it to a safe place off the road the motor dies. The dip stick was showing no oil. I had only checked this a couple of weeks ago.
I add oil after about 6 hours and she turns over with no weird noises but won't start.
A mate looked in the oil fill whole and reckons he could only see one rocker moving.
The Moke is stuck near work so I didn't have any tools to take the rocker cover off and see what's happened.
Any ideas what damage I may have done?
Thanks Brad

#2 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:02 AM

New engine time

#3 Earwax

Earwax

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 08:09 AM

Most low oil lights come on at something like 7psi.... this is not good for mains bearings that like 40-80psi.  

As to what it could be, sadly almost any and everything. Have a good look around for where the oil may have escaped, although it is a chicken'egg situation where a catastrophic failure more likely led to oil loss.

A mechanical oil pressure gauge or a hard to source pressure switch that lights up at about 20 psi would be on the MUST have list for next time.

Engine out and a very close look and measure at tear down is probably required. Not good news i am afraid

#4 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:29 PM

I'm pretty sure the noise was only coming from the top of the engine. Maybe just a rocond head is in order.  
Which leads me to my other question,  can I fit a 1275 head to a 998 and will this give me a performance gain?

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,945 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 07 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

I'm pretty sure the noise was only coming from the top of the engine. Maybe just a rocond head is in order.  
Which leads me to my other question,  can I fit a 1275 head to a 998 and will this give me a performance gain?

Last thing you need to do. 

but yes and the block will need pocketing to ensure you have valve clearance.

but it sounds like you have other issues that need fixing first.

#6 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,929 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:56 PM

Just given your description here, I'm actually wondering if the diff has gone and broken a hole in the diff cap. That would explain the loss of oil and some noises.

Sort this issue out before looking to more power.

If you find as a result of this damage you are up for an engine rebuild, maybe look to converting your 998 to an 1100, it would give you that performance gain you are likely looking for. There's only a few parts you'll need to do this conversion, but the main item is the 1100 crank.

#7 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 10:47 AM

Guys you wont believe this but I took the rocker cover off and everything looked normal.  I even turned it over without the rocker cover and nothing amiss or bad noises.  Oil wasn't spraying every where so I got a mate to turn it over while I looked closely and the damn motor started up.  
The only fault I can see is that it wouldnt idle at traffic lights on the way home.  I just kept my toe on the accelerator and got her home safe in my garage. 
My only observation was that there is a missing bolt from the Extractors closest to the radiator.  Maybe the bolt fell into the fan because there look's like some new damage to the radiator which was cactus anyway.  Maybe that was the strange claterring noise I was hearing and it stopped the fan moving so the engine over heated and stopped?   

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users