Photo

A+ Engine Rebuild - Should I Even Consider It?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:20 PM

I’m after some advice. Today I was lucky enough to pick up two A+ engines in need of rebuild. One of the engines has a shot gearbox. The other in need of piston rings amongst many other things. They are in a state for sure And as a total novice ive no idea where to start if I were to rebuild them.

What would I need to do? What would you do?

I’ve no need to build them at all by the way (touch wood) but kind of like the challenge.

iT4irXk.jpg

#2 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 08 February 2020 - 05:35 PM

Try to get an original or copy of this DVD in links below......after over 4 hours of watching it you should have a good idea of what is involved in re-building an A-Series engine & gearbox, the tools required and whether you are up for the challenge:-

https://www.amazon.c...0/dp/B002HRYFSM

"Ultimate Mini Builder 1380 A series. Ultimate Mini Builder - 1380cc A-series is your comprehensive guide to building a high performance fast-road 1380cc A-series engine. With over four hours of in-depth footage, watch as Mini expert Bill Sollis strips a Metro 1275cc unit and then rebuilds it to 1380cc with all the perfect components for long-lasting and reliable power! And to prove the result, we run the engine on a dyno - revealing over 100bhp and 100lbs/ft of torque."

http://www.minispare...assic/T373.aspx

Edited by mab01uk, 08 February 2020 - 05:38 PM.

#3 bpirie1000

bpirie1000

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,119 posts
  • Local Club: Amoc

Posted 08 February 2020 - 06:04 PM

As above.... also shows you how the gearbox works.

#4 sledgehammer

sledgehammer

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:11 AM

as above - get the books & youtube

it looks like you have a bit of space

get an old digital camera & photograph everything you remove & where it goes

wash / clean / rust proof everything , then asses what you need to buy

sadly mini parts aren't as cheap as they used to be & quality is questionable - even on expensive components

assume new rings mean rebore & new pistons , could need new cam & followers , new bearings will be requires as well as oil seals & gaskets

cam chain & possibly sprockets & tensioner , may need valves & regrind

sadly not a cheap hobby if you want to do a good job

In my experience , everyone says get it reconditioned - a cheap recon will be a wash & paint

an £xpensive recon could be the same - so watch out who you deal with

sorry to be negative - but you are the only person who will do the job without needing to make a profit - so go for it

best of luck 

#5 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:33 AM

If you don't need to rebuild it, what have you got to lose? The fact is, you have no pressure etc. so you can just learn as you go. For me, that's a better scenario than needing it quickly for a car.

It might cost you a little bit in parts, so that's the only real consideration. However, if you document your process all the way through publicly, such as on here, you might even make a little profit selling it on afterwards. Alternatively, build a higher spec one with the intent of upgrading your current engine, or using it as a stop gap next time yours does need a rebuild.

I say go for it, and start a thread on here. I'd be interested to read it from the point of view of someone who doesn't have a clue what they are doing! When people are clearly very experienced and skilled in what they do, they can sometimes not maybe explain certain bits in the required detail for us novices.

Good luck!

#6 ADRay

ADRay

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:36 PM

It’s a good opportunity to learn. I keep thinking of the “medical student / cadaver” analogy

#7 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 02:30 PM

On the course I did when I was a youngster we just took the engine apart and put it all back together again on scrap engines. Cost nothing and was real good fun and you could learn how things worked. If you have no need for a recon engine that’s what I would do just for the fun of it

#8 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:58 AM

Are you sure these are A+ motors? The left one has tappet chest covers and the right has an inertia starter....

Edited by Magneto, 10 February 2020 - 03:00 AM.

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:52 PM

998 A+ always had tappet chest covers and both blocks appear to have the A+ extra casting ribs.

Edited by mab01uk, 10 February 2020 - 10:54 PM.

#10 Magneto

Magneto

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts
  • Local Club: KC MINI Club

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:59 AM

I did not know that on the 998, thanks!

#11 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:31 PM

This is all great advice guys. I would like to have a go at it. And like the idea of having a thread. I’ll have a good read of anything I can find right now too.

#12 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:44 AM

At least do one then you will know what you are going to be up against on the next one. I rebuilt an engine a few years ago and it wasn't that hard. Just pay lots of attention to detai with measurements and calculations, never cut corners and keep everything as clean as possible. I had a local machine shop do the parts for me and I built it up once all back. Enjoy it

#13 Richie83

Richie83

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,494 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:43 PM

At least do one then you will know what you are going to be up against on the next one. I rebuilt an engine a few years ago and it wasn't that hard. Just pay lots of attention to detai with measurements and calculations, never cut corners and keep everything as clean as possible. I had a local machine shop do the parts for me and I built it up once all back. Enjoy it

Sounds good. Did they paint it and whatnot for you too?

#14 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:53 PM

Sounds good. Did they paint it and whatnot for you too?
It came back bare except for new core plugs so I painted it in satin black which turned out really nice. It took a good few evenings to build as I took extra time to check everything. It was so rewarding when it first fired up after checking for good oil pressure. It went well after the initial running in was complete. I say go for it.

#15 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:31 PM

A lot of the perceived difficulty with engine building is how to do the calculations for compression ratios and amounts to be machined from block, etc., especially when you do some DIY gas-flowing.

It really is not as hard as some like to make you think and we are here to help. In fact, there are some good 'dodges' you can use to make it easier which we can come to later.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users