#1 antsmith82

antsmith82

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:27 PM

Hi,

I'm after some tips on how best to attempt the oil filter removal on my new to me 1998 Mini Cooper.

Access to the oil filter seems very restricted. I also have the 4 spot lamps fitted in front of the grill.

Instructions in books seem to show you do it via access from the engine bay, by un-clipping the top coolant hose and bending it out of the way.

Is this the easiest way to do this job? I can't see how you can get much leverage to unscrew the filter or have the room to fit the various removal tools around the filter?

Any suggestions from people who have successfully done this job before are much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

#2 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:46 PM

You really need an oil filter wrench. It allows you to turn it a few degrees at a time.

I will get a picture later.

#3 g0myw

g0myw

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:13 PM

as tmsmini says - use a oil filter wrench [i have a chain one] some are belts.

either way you don't need to undo or remove anything [well I didnt last week]

In desparation you could try 'drifting' a punch right through it and the twist - a bit brutal though.!

https://www.ebay.co....k8AAOSw27dclPH0

#4 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:57 PM

my 1996 cooper SPI i put a filter tool the 3 leg type up from underneither stick a socket and extension bar on and turn it off no problem 

#5 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:22 PM

my 1996 cooper SPI i put a filter tool the 3 leg type up from underneither stick a socket and extension bar on and turn it off no problem

Yes, but spi's have the filter in the original spot. Mpis have it facing forward, so a 'wrench' from the side as above will be the best option.
Access is easy enough from the front, but it will mean taking the spots off and grill, but doable from the top
It will be a little messy, so don't forget cardboard and some sand (or other oil absorbant stuff) ready. Filler dust is brilliant by the way.

Ben

#6 antsmith82

antsmith82

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 05:43 PM

Cheers all. Wrench it is then!

#7 phillrulz

phillrulz

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:07 PM

Yes, but spi's have the filter in the original spot. Mpis have it facing forward, so a 'wrench' from the side as above will be the best option.
Access is easy enough from the front, but it will mean taking the spots off and grill, but doable from the top
It will be a little messy, so don't forget cardboard and some sand (or other oil absorbant stuff) ready. Filler dust is brilliant by the way.

Ben

ah i was suspect which is why i said the engines, with spots i guess its not worth grill off as looks like you could get a 3 leg filter tool in horizontally through the grill. 

#8 tmsmini

tmsmini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Local Club: MOASF

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:23 AM

This is the style wrench I found to be useful. The strap or band type were inconsistent in use.

Attached Files

#9 jamesquintin

jamesquintin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,017 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:28 PM

I usually end up smashing a screwdriver into it then using that as a handle  :lol:

#10 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

These are one of the best filter tools I've found, but each one is a specific size, unlike the universal straps and grips:

https://www.demon-tw...wE&gclsrc=aw.ds

#11 antsmith82

antsmith82

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:33 PM

@tmsmini thanks for taking the time to attach images.

I can definitely see the benefit in using the pliers
variation. Reading up on reviews from the various suppliers also suggests these are far better than the strap and chain types at gripping and providing leverage.

I also like the idea of them serving more than one purpose.

Thanks

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users