4 replies to this topic

#1 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 04:33 PM

Hi. Is there a method or guide on how to get the boot lid to fit properly with the corners tucked in nice and even?

#2 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 07:48 PM

Bare with me, I think I covered it in one of my threads

Cheers

Ben

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:18 PM

I found this

http://www.theminifo...of-wight/page-5

Which shows the before and after but I didn't make any explanation of how I did it...

Basically,  with the boot lid removed, the hinge rail needs twisting in so place both hands on the hinge rail roughly where the hinges bolt and with the heel of your hands  on the recess where the seal sits and your finger tips on the inside of the hinge rail you need to almost roll the edge over if that makes sense.

Just a little at a time and keep checking.

The other point to adjust is the top of the boot opening where the boot lock latches and each top corner.

This might be done by twisting the edge like the way I described the bottom or if its not enough, a block of wood and a hammer in each position can be used with a few taps of a hammer to take the recess back a few mm but Be very careful as too much force will distort the area between the boot lid and the bottom of the rear screen.

Its not easy to describe so I hope that makes sense?

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 08:37 PM

I found this

http://www.theminifo...of-wight/page-5

Which shows the before and after but I didn't make any explanation of how I did it...

Basically, with the boot lid removed, the hinge rail needs twisting in so place both hands on the hinge rail roughly where the hinges bolt and with the heel of your hands on the recess where the seal sits and your finger tips on the inside of the hinge rail you need to almost roll the edge over if that makes sense.
Just a little at a time and keep checking.

The other point to adjust is the top of the boot opening where the boot lock latches and each top corner.
This might be done by twisting the edge like the way I described the bottom or if its not enough, a block of wood and a hammer in each position can be used with a few taps of a hammer to take the recess back a few mm but Be very careful as too much force will distort the area between the boot lid and the bottom of the rear screen.

Its not easy to describe so I hope that makes sense?

Thanks for this mate. I think i have grasped the concept that you are describing. Its a top corner which has a gap of a few mm. Should I tap the boot arpeture from inside to bring it foward a tad?

#5 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 09:00 PM

It will need to go in slightly as far as I recall to allow the boot to close in further.

I wish I had described it when I did it as it was a while ago and I've not had to do it on one since.

I would just take it in slightly by hand if you can and see if it improves your gap. If it worsens, then go the other way but do the hinge rail first as that should make the most difference 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users