#1 NunoTT

NunoTT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:31 AM

Hi!

I noticed sometime ago, that my chassi is cracked where the front subframe bolts up on the driver side (LHD Mini).

I now have the chance to repair it, but how/what is the best way to repare it? Since the subframe bolts up right where it's cracked, I suppose that there should be a way to reinforce that area. Is that so? What is the best way to do it? 

Keep in mind, that the body isn't striped to a bare shell, and I would like to try and repair it at home (I have a welding machines at home and friends that are experienced welders that can give me a hand if needed)

Thanks in advance!

NunoTT

PS: I will post some pics as soon as I get home

#2 bangermadness08

bangermadness08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 10:51 AM

If its cracked it may be a case of rot or worn sub frame mounts that's causing excess movement resulting in deforming the metal. Ideally the sub frame would need to be taken out and remove all interior carpets then clean away all the area so you have a better understanding of what the crack looks like. If it's a clean break then clean up the metal and I'd seam weld the crack hammer so the crack hole will close and weld on both side then flatten back to a smooth finish. I'm sure someone else will have a better response thou

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 10 February 2020 - 05:19 PM

Until NunoTT posts pictures of the damage we can only guess.

When the pictures are up we can then give a proper assessment.

#4 viz139

viz139

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 569 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

Sounds like the toe board has cracked from worn subframe mounts. No need to remove subframe if its just a crack and not a rotten floor, can be done from inside the car.  Remove the carpet ,remove the subframe mount and clean back the area to bare metal. If the floor is good condition you can generally just weld the crack and fit all new subframe mounts. 

As said above a photo would help.

#5 NunoTT

NunoTT

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:30 AM

Well, it turns out I won't be welding the crack... The floor is a bit rotten, so I'll need to repair the entire toe board and a bit of the floor.

Thanks anyway!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users