7 replies to this topic

#1 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:49 PM

I have decided to change the Catalytic Converter on my 1995 Mini cooper spi. I have had problems at MOT time every year with it passing the emission test, the old place I used to take it managed to get it through each time but only just, they advised me the CAT has probs seen better days. (that garage has now closed due to retirement )I think its is the original one. I already have a new bosch lambda sensor to  fit at the same time. I have has this a while so might as well fit it while I am under there. anyway to the point I have notice a lot of oil around the CAT, I have yet to take it off as waiting for new one to arrive, if indeed the old cat is contaminated with engine oil, could this just be due to short runs? having never been driven more than 500 miles in a year. the engine was rebuilt back in 2013/14 or could this be a sign of engine wear? the car runs well no smoke or funny smells from the exhaust and no excessive oil use (well it drips a fair amount.. don't they all) any advice most welcome. thanks in advance. I guess fit the now CAT and run it is my best bet... answered my own question there...

#2 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:25 PM

500 miles! It hasn't even been "Run In", yet!

Worst thing you can do to an engine is not get it fully up to temperature.

It might be worth taking the car out, as is, and giving it a damned good squawking, if you got the Cat up to temperature it ought to burn the oil off. Or the old two-stroke trick: remove the old Cat; heat it at one end with an oxy-acetylene torch until it catches fire; turn the acetylene off and watch the fire blow slowly to the far end. Recycled Cat ready to go.

#3 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 08:57 PM

500 miles! It hasn't even been "Run In", yet!

Worst thing you can do to an engine is not get it fully up to temperature.

It might be worth taking the car out, as is, and giving it a damned good squawking, if you got the Cat up to temperature it ought to burn the oil off. Or the old two-stroke trick: remove the old Cat; heat it at one end with an oxy-acetylene torch until it catches fire; turn the acetylene off and watch the fire blow slowly to the far end. Recycled Cat ready to go.

I meant to say no more than 500 miles each year since the engine rebuild so approx. 3500 miles.

#4 Quinlan minor

Quinlan minor

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 10 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

I meant to say no more than 500 miles each year since the engine rebuild so approx. 3500 miles.

That's a relief. I still think it'd be worth it, on the next decent day, to take it out and give it a good caning. It'd do it a world of good and might well revive the Cat.

#5 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 11:20 PM

I always did before the  MOT the morning before it went in, thrashed it and then put it on the ramps but it only just squeeked past the emissions, i might as well stick the cat on and see, was only £40 for a new one. but thanks good advice, my MGF passed by giving it a good thrashing.

#6 mina08

mina08

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:51 AM

You need a new cat, i am on my 2nd now makes a big difference, i also make sure i give my mini an "Italian tune" once a month and always before an mot

#7 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 04:06 PM

New Cat arrived this morning, after a bit of head scratching about which way around it fits, fitted it so lets see MOT time of it makes a difference, the old one was pretty sooty and black but could still see through it when help up to the light, the new one obviously was much easier to see through.

#8 FlyingScot

FlyingScot

Up Into Fourth

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,660 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:44 PM

New Cat arrived this morning, after a bit of head scratching about which way around it fits, fitted it so lets see MOT time of it makes a difference, the old one was pretty sooty and black but could still see through it when help up to the light, the new one obviously was much easier to see through.

The fact you can see through it isn’t the issue, it’s generally the poisoning of the catalyst substrate on the honeycomb that means it ineffective. I know some have had the honeycomb shatter and disintegrate but this is usually due to mechanical impact.

FS

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users