12 replies to this topic

#1 human89

human89

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:06 AM

Has a anyone fitted the outside hinges from a mk1 on a mk3+? I'm considering doing this and wanted the groups opinion. I have some rust of the door steps by the a panels and instead of placing it, I thought about welding in something to blank it out and don't mk1 hinges and leather straps so the door won't swing open all the way. Thanks for your opinion

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 February 2020 - 07:54 AM

It would be a lot more work than just doing the repair. The door skin & A panel would need reinforcing. The geometry is entirely different so you'd need to confirm the door would actually open without fouling (likely it will) and that the hinge fixings wouldn't foul on the frames (less likely).

I'd expect somebody's done it if it's possible too.

#3 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 11 February 2020 - 11:18 AM

I thought about this from time to time.My thoughts were to make a triangular bracket which picked up the original hinge holes and allowed you to drill through the A panel to fit the external hinges.May end up not being close enough to the edge to fit the hinges but would be relatively easy to do and reversable.Same with inside the door.Steve...

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,777 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 11 February 2020 - 12:38 PM

The Japanese used to fit external hinges to Mk3+ for retro look (will post some photos later if I can find them), also I remember Mini Magazine did a 'How to' article on modifiying and strengthening the Mk3 A panel for external hinges some years back.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,845 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:30 PM

I've not done it, but have seen a car where it was done. Wholly cow !!  As Ethal touched on, it's a lot of work. Because the Arc Centre, through which the door moves through, changes, there are a few places on the trailing edges were it gets too close and I think one place can foul. If you are retaining the MKIII type Door Latches, I think that further complicates the issues.

#6 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 08:04 PM

Japanese Retro Conversion on 1.3i
Very nice example below of a Japanese Retro conversion on a 1998 Rover Mini Cooper 1.3i with air con (don't think Japan ever got the MPI/front rad?).........SU carb, 10" wheels/discs, centre speedo dash, toggle switches, Mk1 indicator/column, wing mirrors, external hinges, door check straps, rounded door corner at "A" panel base, early style full front valance and even sliding windows!
http://www3.wind.ne....per149443-2.htm

Edited by mab01uk, 11 February 2020 - 08:04 PM.

#7 human89

human89

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 09:16 PM

Interesting you would think pick up a set of hinges and give it a go haha.

#8 craig 1010cc

craig 1010cc

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,163 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:39 PM

There is this build on here that’ll show you the work needed to fit mk1 doors in a mk3 onwards shell

http://www.theminifo...-inc-mk1-doors/

As mentioned earlier, John Betts did a how to fit mk1 hinges to a mk3 onwards shell in minimag about 10 or more years ago (it was an orange mini with a flip front). They reinforced the A panels with box section to the original hinge panel. I think the doors were lightened, can’t remember if they were also strengthened

#9 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,777 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:42 PM

Another TMF thread here with a photo of a finished hinge conversion:-

http://www.theminifo...k1-door-hinges/

Converting a MK3 on door to external hinges was covered in Jan 2006 Mini Magazine:-

http://www.theminifo...nge-conversion/

https://magazineexch...?keep_https=yes

Edited by mab01uk, 11 February 2020 - 10:47 PM.

#10 human89

human89

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:44 AM

Sounds like I might avoid it. I'm not a fan of my door stops and also the curtosy light switch plus like the look of the mk1 leather ones better so I might just do that for now. Any thoughts on that

#11 r.tec

r.tec

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Local Club: SfG Schoenau

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:45 AM

Apart from the front lower edge of the the Mk1/2 doors being round instead of square of Mk3 onwards they are lower approx. 1 cm. The door cutout of the Mk3 onwards side panels are higher accordingly.

#12 JXC Mini GT

JXC Mini GT

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:02 PM

This project may be of interest?

http://www.theminifo...-inc-mk1-doors/

#13 BudgieCake

BudgieCake

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  • Local Club: Midweekminis

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:21 AM

Right I'm qualified to answer this question since over done it, I will let you know what I did to fit them and of course someone might do it differently.

I replaced the a panels but when they were off the car I had access to mk1 inner hinge brackets so I used them as a template to drill the holes out on the panel. I mounted it to the car without the inner bracket and bolted the door up using the original hinges and messed about with the gap till it was perfect before I mounted the hinge to the a panel.

I had fitted new door skins as well and on the inside of it I tiger sealed some of the old door because it has the perfect curve for it, this acted as reinforcing. Some of you may disagree with the tiger seal but it's stronger than some members welding, it's water resistant and doesn't pull or push when it hardens so bodywork will be needed with the skin when it's all fitted up.

So we got new a panel with hinged bolted to it and fresh door skin mounted with acceptable panel gap. I then swung the hinge around and drw round it. At this point you can use your noggin and rule to drill your holes out but I just used the gaskets and used them as a hole template, I worked for me but not the most accurate way of doing it but since I'm the king of half jobs it's savvy

Drill the holes out and then remove the door of the old mk3 hinges, seal the old hinge thread holes or weld them up to make your mini little bit more waterproof ;)

Now the a panel needs to be reinforced, I built my pan boxes for this simply because the mk1 inner panels are expensive and from memory I don't think they fit. The non gen ones were ******* so I chucked 2 brand new ones away to save them going back into circulation, you guys are welcome. All my boxes were was some 1.2mm sheet metal folded into a box with a slight curve to bolt against the a panel. When it came to welding it up I bolted the box up to the a panel before welding it on and welded it through the old holes for the mk3 hinges and few beads on the inner flitch.

Just bolted it all up the they're gucci, real nice and a good addition, they work well with no fouling

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users