Photo
- - - - -

Starting Problems 1992 Boc 1275

Best Answer gazza82 , 12 February 2020 - 10:22 AM

The offset on the distributor drive isn't always clear to see ..

I've also been told of someone who to sort his timing problem was to move the drive dog on the distributor by 180 degrees. This caused the next purchaser of that engine no end of fun .. !

Turn the engine so no 1 is TDC on the firing stroke (valves closed). Then look at the position of the rotor arm which should be pointing to 1-2pm direction ..

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Indy495

Indy495

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:24 PM

Hi mini people,

my son and I are stumped with why our engine will not start. I’m no expert,so be patient!!!!

we bought the car from a known source, who had taken the engine out. We have no reason to doubt him when he said it was running. We have had the head off and the bores looked great. We have re-ground the valves and put new valve seals in place. The head was then replaced with new gaskets all round. 
we were very careful to reinstall the distributor for elec ignition and get the timing as close as possible as per the various topics on this forum.

the carb has been refurbished by a professional as it was beyond our capabilities 

the engine has been reinstalled after all the body work was complete. We are thrilled to get to this stage after a year of graft. 

fresh fuel has been put in the car and this has been flushed through the fuel pipe until it ran clean. 

a new battery has been fitted

we have fuel and a good spark but he will not fire up.  
I have double checked the timing as per a topic on here, and took the attached photos. 

its been 3 days of staring at him and trying different things, but still no good??

it makes a popping/banging noise via the exhaust and occasionally back through the carb. 

I have tried to study all the topics on here that may give a clue, so as not to waste your time,  but can’t

pin it down.  
Any pointer would be appreciated.  So close and yet so far.

Attached Files

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 11 February 2020 - 04:58 PM

That sounds like timing or simply the leads are on incorrectly.

Firing order is 1 3 4 2 from water pump end (right end as you stare at it)

Lead 1 on the dizzy cap would be in the 1-2 o'clock vicinity and it turns anti-clockwise ...

Edited by gazza82, 11 February 2020 - 05:02 PM.

#3 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 February 2020 - 05:12 PM

Check the above, if its timed correctly and the carb is good, tweak the timing a little

#4 Indy495

Indy495

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 06:48 PM

That sounds like timing or simply the leads are on incorrectly.

Firing order is 1 3 4 2 from water pump end (right end as you stare at it)

Lead 1 on the dizzy cap would be in the 1-2 o'clock vicinity and it turns anti-clockwise ...

Thanks, I have checked the plug lead order and that’s correct. 

I have been told that the top dead centre of number one is reached twice in every cycle, how do I know I’ve got the right tdc when I set the dizzy?

#5 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 11 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

Both valves on cylinder one are shut ... so rockers move slightly.

#6 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:28 AM

Sounds like the timing is 180 degrees out - a mistake many inexperienced engine builders make on the mini engine.

To run, an engine needs fuel, air and spark; the secret though is in the methodology. Read the Haynes manual.

#7 Indy495

Indy495

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 08:31 AM

Sounds like the timing is 180 degrees out - a mistake many inexperienced engine builders make on the mini engine.

To run, an engine needs fuel, air and spark; the secret though is in the methodology. Read the Haynes manual.

I tried to stick to the Haynes manual throughout the process, but as a practical learner, I’m not sure I got it right. Back to the drawing board I guess

#8 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 10:22 AM   Best Answer

I've also been told of someone who to sort his timing problem was to move the drive dog on the distributor by 180 degrees. This caused the next purchaser of that engine no end of fun .. !

Turn the engine so no 1 is TDC on the firing stroke (valves closed). Then look at the position of the rotor arm which should be pointing to 1-2pm direction ..

#9 Indy495

Indy495

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

Thanks gazza82. I have just checked the above and the rotor arm is pointing as you describe, the timing marks are in line as well.

is it possible that when I have cylinder one at TDC that it is not the firing stroke, even with the valves closed. Or is the only time the piston reaches the top with the valves closed is on firing....

i am just about to go and attack it again. 

#10 Indy495

Indy495

On The Road

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 05:01 PM

Thank ou all so much for the wise words. I went through locating TDC again from scratch and it turns out I was 180deg out. So I removed the distributor and the drive inside the block, I spun it through 180,dropped it back in and then the distributor was refitted, now resting at about 1-2 o’clock. 
got in it and it went first turn of the key

so chuffed after all the work that it sounds so sweet. 

thanks again. 

#11 Rorf

Rorf

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 859 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 06:45 PM

Well done :proud:

#12 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,919 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

Feeling chuffed with myself! My car passed the MOT yesterday too .. but then that is a modern and just coming up to three years old so bl**dy ought to have passed! (Oh and a payrise & bonus at work helped!!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users