#1 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 12:03 PM

Just a quick question guys.
Do all radiators from 998 to 1275 and Cooper S/GT's all have a 1 inch inlet and out let pipe?
Also is there a preferred size and brand of hose clamps to use on these hoses. I'm guessing silicone hoses don't need anything out of the ordinary over standard rubber hoses.

#2 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:13 PM

I prefer Mikalor clamps now .. I fitted some to an Alfa I had and they not only looked good after a few years, they also undid without resorting to violence or penetrating fluid.They seem to be less prone to cutting into the hose too (rubber or silicon)

#3 dyshipfakta

dyshipfakta

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 01:32 PM

What ever you do don’t be tempted by cheap job lot hose clamps they truly are garbage and a false economy.

#4 MatthewsDad

MatthewsDad

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:46 PM

The better quality hose clips have the worm screw thread on the external face of the clip only, leaving a smooth face on the inside (hose-facing) side of the clip. Doesn't chew up the hose. Cheaper ones have the worm thread cut right through the clip.

#5 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:21 PM

Just a quick question guys.
Do all radiators from 998 to 1275 and Cooper S/GT's all have a 1 inch inlet and out let pipe?
Also is there a preferred size and brand of hose clamps to use on these hoses. I'm guessing silicone hoses don't need anything out of the ordinary over standard rubber hoses.

Hey mate, all the Aust stuff has 1" Pipes, yes. It was only the Thermostat housing on the later UK Minis that seem to have larger ones.

I tend to go for Utilux or JBS Branded clamps. As Mathewsdad mentioned, avoid the ones that have slots for the screws to work on, these cut the hoses, especially the Silicon types. Also, I'd suggest Plated Clamps over Stainless types, you'll be able to get them tight without fighting them and they'll last way longer.

#6 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,916 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:59 AM

Attached File  Mikalor_W2.jpg   135.53K   2 downloads

Also available in black finish ..

Edited by gazza82, 13 February 2020 - 10:03 AM.

#7 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 12:39 PM

Oooh those look real purty and sturdy. Are they plated like Moke Spider was talking about?

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,409 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:09 PM

I thought they were stainless, but the numbers suggest otherwise for the screw at least.

Personally I've had no trouble with stainless - as long as it's top  quality as that looks to be. It's when they're just stamped flat out thin sheet, complete with sharp edges.

#9 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,937 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:12 PM

There are other makes of this type of clamp. Often used on exhausts as well. Available in stainless and plated steel.

#10 maystro

maystro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 07:17 AM

Hey guys I need some hose clamps in a hurry and can't get anything good quality local and those Mikalor ones will take too long for delivery to Townsville.  
How do these ones look?  I'm guessing 32-35mm would be my best fit for silicone hoses.  The outside diameter of the hose is 32mm.  

https://www.thornado...AiABEgIi-fD_BwE

They cost about $20 bucks for 4  AUS and nearly the same for delivery.  

or these ones which are marine grade so should be better and I think the 30 - 33 mm range should be a better fit for my 32 mm hoses.  

https://www.theboatw...BCABEgJJufD_BwE

Edited by maystro, 16 February 2020 - 07:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users