6 replies to this topic

#1 kamilb1998

kamilb1998

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 07:27 PM

I went to the ACA auction last month and came home with lot number 104. 

It stood out to me as it hadn't been messed with, chrome arches aside, like so many classic Minis have been, and it was first registered only a couple of days before I was born! Its got some rust in the usual places but it doesn't appear to have been patched/welded in the past which hopefully means I won't be fixing anyone else's poor workmanship. 

The car was retained by its first, second registered, owner from 1998 to 2015 and has had one owner since. From what I can see from the history that came with it, it did 10,000 miles a year until 2005 and has done 2000 miles since 2006 with a lay up between 2007 and 2015. 

Once it arrived home, a sizeable order from Rimmer Bros followed. It had a few mechanical foibles in the form of a leaking heater matrix and the inability to start when hot which turned out to be an inlet air temperature sensor - it was disconnected and someone had bridged the connector - with a new one fitted its been starting perfectly since. Its also had a damn good service and a couple of the tyres needed resealing as they were leaking around the rim. 

I've got a few small jobs left, sort out the tappets, replace the leaky rocker cover gasket and fit a new coolant temperature sensor. I also seem to have issue with a cranking a touch on the slow side when cold and the full beam dragging the other electrics down - I've done some reading and I'm hoping a clean up of the engine earths will sort this. This should see it sorted mechanically sorted and I'll hopefully be able to reliably run it to work and uni on dry days. 

The plan for now is to run it around for the summer and if its still with me by winter sort out the bodywork with some new panels and a respray, possibly the full works with subframes off and shot blasting etc. but that will be decided nearer the time and once I've properly assessed the underside. 

Pictures from the auction below and one from this morning when someone decided to change lanes into me in the city traffic. Luckily only knocked the arch trim which was almost convenient as I wanted to get rid of the chrome arches anyway so a new set of black arch trims is in the post. The scuffs on the wing buffed out. 

49525963883_b847b07ee1_z.jpg

49526473771_e3cdfc744f_z.jpg

49525963948_b518fe274f_z.jpg

49526498486_e9d4c5603c_z.jpg

#2 Tda321

Tda321

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 12 February 2020 - 09:08 PM

Looks great, shame about the bump but as you say, at least it made your decision for you! Enjoy it.

#3 Stealth72

Stealth72

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:49 AM

Once I get mine (actively looking!!), I might see you about. Give me a wave!!

#4 wingnut

wingnut

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 16 February 2020 - 01:19 PM

I went to the preview on the Friday and saw this.Well bought!

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,014 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 18 February 2020 - 05:39 PM

That Mk.2 Cooper 998 in red/white with some competition preparation looked very cheap at just over £10k inc. buyer's premium.

Was it as good as it looked or was it needing body-work & welding?

#6 kamilb1998

kamilb1998

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 04:57 PM

Can't say I looked at the Mk2 in the auction, I only briefly looked over this one as I was only intending to view and not buy at the auction but that doesn't always go to plan! 

In other news, I treated it to a clay bar, polish and wax to complement the new arch. Looks a bit shinier now and far better, in my opinion, with the chrome arch covers removed. 

The weather’s been a little better over the last week or so and I've pressed it into daily service which it has taken to rather well with nothing to report really. I had an issue with the fan staying on when I first got it but that seems to have sorted itself and I noticed in traffic the fan now cuts in and out as expected. 

EPVK3b3k.jpg|https://thumbsnap.com/EPVK3b3k

#7 AlasdairM

AlasdairM

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 240 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:30 PM

Yes black arches look much better imo

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users