5 replies to this topic

#1 ianjmcleod

ianjmcleod

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 04:05 PM

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I plan to get a Cooper S.  The last mini I owned was in 1969 which I bought brand new!  Neverheless I am still alive.  I'm not an expert on Cooper S's but in the past I've done a lot of work on my 850/1000 mini's, frankly because at the time I couldn't afford anyone else to do it - e'g "decoke", new rear subframe etc.  Ideally I'd like an original, proper Cooper S which runs OK but needs a bit of "tidying" in order to make it A1 condition, (not concours so I have to take it places on a trailer.).   I suspect that could be a challenge.  I don't want a standard mini which has been "tranformed" into a Cooper.   I'd prefer rubber suspension to hydrolastic.  Am I looking for a "unicorn"?  or do I have to pay an arm and a leg for a mint one someone else has restored?  Are any particular variants/years preferable in any sense?  Any comments welcome!

#2 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 13 February 2020 - 05:07 PM

They're definitely out there, concours ones are reaching silly asking prices at the moment. I would start by obtaining a copy of Parnell's excellent "Original Mini Cooper and Cooper S" book for reference as that will tell you what to look for to make sure you're buying an original car. Good luck and happy hunting!

#3 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,904 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 13 February 2020 - 06:23 PM

Hey, welcome to the forum !

What you are after is quite thin n the round, you might have to look for a while. Being on Rubber Suspension, off hand that would be a 1071 and may include the very early 970 and 1275 models, but be prepared to have deep pockets.

I don't usually like to steer traffic away from our forum, but you'll find it very worthwhile also joining the MKI Forum.

#4 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:37 PM

If you were happy to accept a genuine 998 Cooper in need of restoration, there is a 1969 Mk.2 998 Cooper on sale on 'Car&Classic'. It is in Paris, it's left-hand-drive and looks to be genuine. Asking price is c.£7000. 

In my humble opinion, the 998 has tended to be somewhat under-rated and it is a nicer car than a Cooper 'S' on the road.

Might be worth a look.

#5 surfblue

surfblue

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,826 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 11:39 AM

Hey, welcome to the forum !

What you are after is quite thin n the round, you might have to look for a while. Being on Rubber Suspension, off hand that would be a 1071 and may include the very early 970 and 1275 models, but be prepared to have deep pockets.

I don't usually like to steer traffic away from our forum, but you'll find it very worthwhile also joining the MKI Forum.

Or just use both? Thats what i do!  :D

#6 62S

62S

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  • Local Club: You must be joking!

Posted 23 February 2020 - 11:03 PM

Hi, I've just joined the forum as I plan to get a Cooper S.  The last mini I owned was in 1969 which I bought brand new!  Nevertheless I am still alive.  I'm not an expert on Cooper S's but in the past I've done a lot of work on my 850/1000 Mini's, frankly because at the time I couldn't afford anyone else to do it - e'g "decoke", new rear subframe etc.  Ideally I'd like an original, proper Cooper S which runs OK but needs a bit of "tidying" in order to make it A1 condition, (not concours so I have to take it places on a trailer.).   I suspect that could be a challenge.  I don't want a standard mini which has been "transformed" into a Cooper.   I'd prefer rubber suspension to hydrolastic.  Am I looking for a "unicorn"?  or do I have to pay an arm and a leg for a mint one someone else has restored?  Are any particular variants/years preferable in any sense?  Any comments welcome!

Plenty of hydrolastic Cooper S's have been converted to dry suspension over the years so if you don't mind that modification that will broaden the choice. If you want a car to drive the best and most plentiful (plentiful being a relative term) is a 1275 S.

The Mk 2 S and Mk 3 S are a fair bit cheaper than a Mk 1 S. A Mk 1 S running project car is going to cost well over £20k these days if you want one with the original bodyshell.  

I'd suggest you buy a copy of Original Mini Cooper & S by John Parnell and take it with you when viewing a car.

When you do find a car, or even before, if you want to be sure you are buying the proper thing contact/join the Mini Cooper Register, their Registrars are very knowledgeable and helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users