5 replies to this topic

#1 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:22 PM

How can I remove the top dash rail on my Mini without removing the front screen?? The fresh air duct is broken and it is a real problem in the winter or when it rains. The screen is always totally misty as the warm air can not flow through the broken duct. I loosened the 4 screws but it is impossible to remove the top rail. Any ideas???

Thank you very much

Attached Files

#2 wile e coyote

wile e coyote

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,224 posts

Posted 13 February 2020 - 09:48 PM

Best option is to take screen out as you've surmised - may be worth doing regardless as rubber looks old.... but it can be done without by undoing the four nuts holding the top rail on and a bit of very careful prising.....beware that replacement top rails getting very pricey now....

The problem with the venting onto the screen is both that the "y" piece comes loose with age and that air is directed right at the chunky screen seal  this can be alleviated  by bending back the directing tabs a little...

The horrible plastic "y" vents are held on by two crosshead screws from above - again a little tricky to remove with the screen seal in place but rarely tight - once apart if they're mangled as at least one of yours seems to be then it's best to source replacements (beware earlier ones take slimmer hoses than late models) before refitting  it's worth running electrical tape down the seams of and restapling over the top. It's also worth running some more electrical tape round the circular bottom of the "y" to ensure hose gets a tight fit and then cable tie the connection to be sure...

Finally a bit of foam self adhesive domestic door seal  is worth using on the top flat  - once screwed back in all this makes a nice tight almost efficient demister.....

Edited by wile e coyote, 13 February 2020 - 09:48 PM.

#3 Lenhamracer

Lenhamracer

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 93 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:42 AM

Thank you very much, I tried to remove it but it was really impossible. So I made a provisional repair to the y piece as I didn‘t want to remove the screen now. I will do may be later this year. It also seems that the plastic y piece is not available any more. I will try to get some 2nd hand ones before removing the Screen.

Thank you very much

Thomas

#4 masslaw

masslaw

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Local Club: Victoria Mini Owners Club

Posted 27 June 2020 - 03:32 AM

I have undone three nuts to get the to rail off.  Here there is mentioned there are four.  I've undone one in the middle and one at each end.  Where is the fourth?

#5 sonscar

sonscar

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:19 AM

On my car there were only three,one at each end and one in the middle with a U shaped bracket to span the old ashtray hole.Steve..

#6 MikeRotherham

MikeRotherham

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 939 posts

Posted 30 June 2020 - 07:15 AM

I think earlier dashrail covers had 4 nuts and bolts to hold it in place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users