#1 J400cbs

J400cbs

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 03:07 AM

Hi all.

Well I’ve come to a stage in my life where I need a new hobby. I have always done all my work to my own cars, servicing and repairs but I’m looking for a bit more now.

I am a mechanical engineer so I like to think I am at a decent level when it comes to mechanical machinery and the likes, but I’ve never built/rebuilt an engine.

A friend of mine has advised me to start with an A series engine as they are meant to be a very simple engine and great for learning. Would you agree or am I dreaming?

I have the opportunity of a couple of engines, an 850 which is seized, or a 998 which is a complete engine and is free moving but apparently does require a rebuild.

I’m looking for some pointers really to get me started. I have been researching over the last six months and think I may now be ready to start. I’m not looking at a time frame to complete this project, I’m happy for it to last me a couple of years or longer.

Thank you for reading and I look forward to some positive feedback.

Thank you

#2 Stealth72

Stealth72

Passed Test

• Just Joined
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 06:47 AM

Get both. Do a regular rebuild on the 998 (as it requires standard rebuild work and you will learn the basic skills required), keep the 850 as a project, you will learn something from un-seizing it - even if it ends up being scrap you can still ‘play’ at head porting, carb rebuilding etc.

#3 jeffster06

jeffster06

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 01:27 PM

I say go for it, I have always worked on my own cars and fully planned on rebuilding the engine in my classic at some point(I had never rebuilt an engine before either). Unfortunately for me it was a lot sooner than I had expected, I dove into it and so far I have around 6k miles on my rebuild. I will say read up plenty on the rebuild, I have found after the fact I had missed measuring some critical components (from reading these forums) but somehow I must have gotten lucky as its running well *knocks on wood*. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users