Photo
- - - - -

Are My Headlights Working Correctly....or Am I Going Mad....

Best Answer Itsaminithing , 14 February 2020 - 09:52 PM

Dim-dip History

At the 18th Sessional Meeting of the Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (CIE) in London in 1975, a joint committee concerned with visual signalling, road lighting and automobile lighting came to the following conclusion:

It is recommended that a 'town beam' be introduced which is intermediate in intensity between that of the currently used low beam and side lights.... it is recommended that all relevant organisations consider this matter seriously and take the necessary steps to introduce a town beam as an essential part of the lighting systems for road traffic.

The committee believed such a beam would provide conspicuous and glare free front lighting on vehicles. They suggested the beam could be simply realized by using the existing dipped beam headlamp on a lower voltage.

The UK was the only country to introduce a dim-dip system. The simplest such system merely consists of a relay and a 0.5 to 1 ohm resistor. This causes the dipped headlamps to light up automatically at reduced intensity whenever the engine and the side lights are switched on. Side lights can still be used on their own when parking, and dipped headlamps for any roads at night when they are necessary to illuminate the road.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 MinesRed

MinesRed

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:15 PM

Hey all.
So,just noticed today after checking my lights are all operational that when the ignition is off they work as follows...
1 click on switch=Sidelights-second click=dipped beam-and push stalk for full beam+spots/pull stalk to flash.
When the ignition is on they do the following..
1 click =sidelights AND dipped beam-second click didn't seem to do anything as the dipped beam is already on,although the dipped beam maybe got brighter,and push stalk for full beam+spots/pull stalk to flash.
I've never noticed this before and I've had the Mini 2 years and I'm convinced I'm going mad,however I have read somewhere that this is in fact correct.
Please can someone clarify if this is correct or not.
Before I do actually go insane.
Thanks guys...oh yeah,1989 city with 1275 engine and stage 1 kit.

#2 imack

imack

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,868 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 05:44 PM

Sounds completely normal for a car of that period thats fitted with 'dim dipped' headlights.

#3 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 07:47 PM

That doesn't sound right at all. The way you describe the operation with the ignition off is the same as it should be with the ignition on....

#4 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 08:08 PM

It’s exactly right - the dim-dip system was brought in to satisfy possible EU law (which never came to fruition) and prevented you driving around with just slide lights on.

#5 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 14 February 2020 - 09:52 PM   Best Answer

Dim-dip History

At the 18th Sessional Meeting of the Commission Internationale de l'Eclairage (CIE) in London in 1975, a joint committee concerned with visual signalling, road lighting and automobile lighting came to the following conclusion:

It is recommended that a 'town beam' be introduced which is intermediate in intensity between that of the currently used low beam and side lights.... it is recommended that all relevant organisations consider this matter seriously and take the necessary steps to introduce a town beam as an essential part of the lighting systems for road traffic.

The committee believed such a beam would provide conspicuous and glare free front lighting on vehicles. They suggested the beam could be simply realized by using the existing dipped beam headlamp on a lower voltage.

The UK was the only country to introduce a dim-dip system. The simplest such system merely consists of a relay and a 0.5 to 1 ohm resistor. This causes the dipped headlamps to light up automatically at reduced intensity whenever the engine and the side lights are switched on. Side lights can still be used on their own when parking, and dipped headlamps for any roads at night when they are necessary to illuminate the road.

#6 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:06 PM

And it was better than all these daytime running lights we are now blessed with.

#7 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 9,486 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:28 PM

And it was better than all these daytime running lights we are now blessed with.

I agree, or the dipped beam HIDs that dazzle like crazy...

#8 MinesRed

MinesRed

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 14 February 2020 - 10:53 PM

All.
Thanks for the swift reply's,and clarifying that I'm not actually going mad and my lights work as they should.
The post from itsaminithing is very informative,every day's a school day 'n all that.
Thanks again folks.

#9 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,406 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 15 February 2020 - 08:27 AM

There should be a big resistor, complete with groovy aluminium heatsink stuck on the bulkhead near the radiator. It's responsible for the dimming bit Minithing so eloquently describes. So if there's no dimming, or just sidelights when the ignition's on... not that you need to have it working.

#10 Itsaminithing

Itsaminithing

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts
  • Local Club: Not One Worth Mentioning

Posted 15 February 2020 - 09:28 AM

.... the dimming bit Minithing so eloquently describes.

:ermm: I merely copied & pasted a page i found on the internet.

GraemeC should have got the credit for nailing the answer.

#11 MinesRed

MinesRed

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 109 posts

Posted 15 February 2020 - 11:22 PM

There should be a big resistor, complete with groovy aluminium heatsink stuck on the bulkhead near the radiator. It's responsible for the dimming bit Minithing so eloquently describes. So if there's no dimming, or just sidelights when the ignition's on... not that you need to have it working.

Ahah,I've often wondered what that was for,but never had a reason to actually find out what it is for.
So yeah,all equipment related to dim-dip is present..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users