12 replies to this topic

#1 Bergi

Bergi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:34 PM

Hello to all! At the moment I‘m doing a full restoration of my MINI MPI. Ive changed the front brakes to the old 7.5 inch original Classic Mini Cooper S brakes setup from AP. Now I want to add 10 mm spacers to the front arch. Therefore Ive contacted my local dealer to supply me with new longer studs. But unfortunately the have only one type of studs: the all came with a round head of the stud, like a bubble...

The original ones has a flat head to pass by the brake caliper. Now Ive contacted my dealer, but he says: there are only one type of studs on the market?! I should cut the head off a little bit. Now Ive done this, but the longer I look on those the more I want to search for longer studs with a flat head. Could you tell me If there is somewhere the right stud?

Original Cooper S brake stud (for 7.5 inch disc brake) with flat head, but longer, to fit the 10 mm spacers?

Please excuse my bad English.

Best regards from Germany...

Christop

#2 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,944 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:40 PM

Sorry don’t fit 10mm spacers. You either have the wrong wheels or arches. You can find longer studs that are correct but they are not from a Mini. Also you are limited to the length that you can fit due to the disc design.

so now onto your current studs what length are they?

#3 Bergi

Bergi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:47 PM

Hi, I think they are 50 mm in lenght. i drive exacton original wheels. 5x10 inch with 15.5 offset. With 10 mm spacers it would look so nice.

#4 Bergi

Bergi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:50 PM

Ive ordered these:

https://allbrit.de/e...nummer=21A2064L

They would fit perfekt in length, but the head is the problem. I would need these but with flat head

#5 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 11:40 PM

no TÜV with spacers. no isurance with spacers.

look like rears do NOT grind the heads down. they have been known to pull through the disc and drive flange.

like the ones at the bottom of this picture

WNrZvFX.jpg

i think run longer ones but again no spacer.

XVWA5cV.jpg

#6 Bergi

Bergi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 06:28 AM

Why is it not possible to put spacers on the front axle/arches?

Ive made some pictures, hope you can see the difference between the studs. Also I have grinded it down, in a professional way, with a lathe. But I think this is not safe!

Attached Files

#7 GraemeC

GraemeC

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,314 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 07:10 PM

Shouldn’t need grinding and should still clear.

That stud in your last picture is not pressed in properly

#8 Bergi

Bergi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 February 2020 - 10:21 PM

Hi it cant be pressed in because it is not flat downwards, like the old oem 7.5“ disk wheel stud. Thats my problem?! Finding studs like the original ones but at least 50 mm long?!

#9 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 11:54 AM

http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop
Like that?
Spacers are always a bad idea, but if you must at least don't mess with grinding or modifying.
At least you're not thinking of using extensions...

#10 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,917 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 20 February 2020 - 01:56 PM

Judging from the OPs picture the issue appears to be the taper on the stud under the "head" and it isn't pushing into the hub far enough .. I've never seen any with "flatter" areas under the stud head so not sure what the correct advise would be .. I assume the stud holes in the hubs were checked for burrs, etc?

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:16 PM

http://minispares.co...px|Back to shop
Like that?
Spacers are always a bad idea, but if you must at least don't mess with grinding or modifying.
At least you're not thinking of using extensions...

That is what he has.

#12 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,944 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 10:20 PM

Why is it not possible to put spacers on the front axle/arches?

Ive made some pictures, hope you can see the difference between the studs. Also I have grinded it down, in a professional way, with a lathe. But I think this is not safe!

As Mr AllBrit says

Längere Bolzen um Spurverbreiterungen montieren zu können. Hinweis: Bitte beachten Sie, daß Spurverbreiterungen erheblich die Radlager belasten.

It also changes the scrub radii. Will make the handling worse. And many more things oh and you will most likely find the tyres will catch the metal work.

and as above that stud still has way further to go in.

#13 Bergi

Bergi

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 05:46 AM

Thank you for your support, but I ve checked my disc an brake 7.5“ setup, and it looks like I ve get Cooper 7“ discs to my cooper s brake. And additional the wrong ebc greenstuff brake pads.

Now I will send the whole bunch back to the dealer and I ve ordered the Cooper S Kit from another dealer! With longer studs;)

This time they should fit perfekt, so if Im using the correct Cooper S Brake disc ;) and I think, yes without spacers it works best. But this is the problem: it now should work 10 times better with 5x10 original Exacton wheels with An offset of 15.5 and only 10 mm spacers instead of driving the original 6x13 inch monster wheels with ugly arches! This is more bad for the wheel bearing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users