8 replies to this topic

#1 croc7

croc7

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:25 AM

The EBC RED pads are gone. Worked great but too much brake dust. Are ceramic pads available for 7.5 Cooper S brake? If not, what would be the recommendation for street use. Have a set of EBC Black on the shelf.

#2 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 22 February 2020 - 09:37 AM

They say race only, but I use these on my road car daily about 18 years ago when they first came out. 
Even the Norwegian MOT inspector was immpressed with the brakes. 

Was running a servo + 7.5 regular MS discs

https://www.minispar...px|Back to shop

#3 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:00 AM

The carbon metallic pads really are excellent and I too have used them on a road car but most or the time for highway use the AP Lockheed pads are more than adequate

https://www.minispar...AF.aspx|Back to

It`s all too easy to get caught up in the hype whilst reading though glossy magazines and I have spent huge amounts of money over the years to come to the conclusion that AP did a pretty good job all along.

Your Black stuff will not be as good as the AP pads and the Green stuff will be terrible until they have heat in them so more of a track day pad or a high ratio servo assistance which proves they are not what they claim to be.

#4 no66

no66

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  • Local Club: NMCC (Norsk Mini Cooper Club)

Posted 22 February 2020 - 10:08 AM

If I remeber correctly (I sold the car about 18yeas ago and have just bought it back) The down side of the CM pads was dust that attackt the paint badly. My Minilites went dull fast. 

#5 GT Jimmy

GT Jimmy

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,582 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 February 2020 - 12:11 PM

The carbon metallic pads really are excellent and I too have used them on a road car but most or the time for highway use the AP Lockheed pads are more than adequate

It`s all too easy to get caught up in the hype whilst reading though glossy magazines and I have spent huge amounts of money over the years to come to the conclusion that AP did a pretty good job all along.

Your Black stuff will not be as good as the AP pads and the Green stuff will be terrible until they have heat in them so more of a track day pad or a high ratio servo assistance which proves they are not what they claim to be.

Are green stuff pads really that bad? Fitted them to my GT but still haven't driven it. Might have to change them before I mot it

#6 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,641 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 22 February 2020 - 02:16 PM

I found the black stuffs awful, managed to have total brake fade very, very quickly. Now on either std mintex or m1144, ace!

#7 expat_cat

expat_cat

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 04:02 PM

Are green stuff pads really that bad? Fitted them to my GT but still haven't driven it. Might have to change them before I mot it

I have Green Stuff pads.  Don't have any issues with them being poor until hot, seem to bite quickly even in winter.  

#8 absx2

absx2

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:37 PM

Put it this way chaps, I was disappointed with the immediate cold bite of the Greenstuff pads on my 1990 Cooper so I fitted a set of AP pads and nearly put my head through the windscreen rolling down my driveway. That`s new pads that had traveled a few feet and the brake feel and bite were back, I could stop dead at just a touch of the brake rather than roll to a halt with the greenstuff.

Greenstuff has its uses and the 90-100 mph heavy braking was excellent but being so wooden in town traffic they had to go and in all honesty you really should be on a track if you have issues with brake fade as I put in 6 laps with AP pads and didn`t detect any brake fade so the Greenstuff wasn`t worth putting up with for a couple of track days a year.

I used the Carbon metallic with 7.5" discs ( awesome ) but the Greenstuff was on 8.4" ( bad ) and Blackstuff on vented Turbo disc`s ( Rubbish )

AP ( Mintex ) on everything now on for me for a road car.

#9 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 23 February 2020 - 05:28 PM

For the 7.5" S brakes you will not better the Carbon-Metallic pads as supplied by Mini Spares.
For 8.4" brakes the Mintex 1144 are good for road use, but for serious competition use the M1166 or M1177 are better.
When fitting these high performance pads and when very hard use is envisaged you should consider a competition brake fluid such AP600 or equivalent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users