Photo
- - - - -

Hif44 - Should I Run Coolant Hose Through Inlet Manifold?

Best Answer nicklouse , 25 February 2020 - 05:16 PM

It is nothing to do with carb icing. It was an economy thing. Pointless and always removed them. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:26 PM

I have done a little research but not sure if any value running coolant hose through the inlet manifold connected to  my HIF44. I live in a temperate climate, never had any overheating issues, and or anything else I can think of that would make running the hose a viable option?

Until I read conversations on another forum talking about keeping the air cooler as due to location of the exhaust manifold, and even with the protector plate, air does get heated and slightly reduces the power output when drown into the cylinder.

any thoughts?

Attached Files

#2 Icey

Icey

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,491 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:40 PM

The manifold is so short air moving through it doesn't pick up any meaningful heat. What it does do is ensure the manifold is warm enough to avoid fuel 'sticking' to the walls and/or pooling - the 'hot spot' created where the old cast intake and exhaust manifolds joined used to perform this job.

So yes, if this is a road car it is beneficial to have it plumbed in.

#3 andyapanel

andyapanel

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:49 PM

I can suffer carb icing in England (sunny Worcestershire), so I would imagine Toronto is well disposed to freeze your carb in the winter.

I always run water through the inlet manifold (Maniflow)

Vizard does say you lose power if you warm the charge, but I think it is worth it to avoid running miles on part choke or even cutting out at an inopportune moment.

Good luck with your car.

#4 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 12:55 PM

Thank you and will weigh both options as we move toward the summer,

Edited by postve, 25 February 2020 - 01:05 PM.

#5 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,036 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:09 PM

I never connect the hoses to the inlet manifold and have never had any problems.

It's personal choice really.

#6 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 01:25 PM

I never connect the hoses to the inlet manifold and have never had any problems.
It's personal choice really.

I am personally not in favour of doing so as again focus is on power and never run in winter anyways unless I get a nice day to take it for a run

#7 luismx123

luismx123

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 03:38 PM

I have run it without the pipe for the last year - also my frst year of owning a mini, but have decided to swap it over to plumbing the manifold as I have had issues in the cold with running on constant choke and the engine cooling down quite a bit on the highway / taking forever to heat up... 
As said above I do not think that the heat in there will affect the air going through enough to have a measurable difference - yes vizard said so but Im driving a sporty 998 so losing 0.5-1hp for sense of mind is alright by me. What I think it is better for, however, is heating up the carb correctly to get the dashpot oil to the right temp and have a constant temperature regardless of the weather. That should help keep my engine setting more or less the same over the seasonal changes.

p.s i dont drive in winter but I did drive it up until 5-10*C sunny days :D

#8 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,408 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:07 PM

I'm with Icey (apposite name!) the biggest effect will be on fuel that runs along the walls of the manifold. Given the short 'n twisty nature of single carb manifolds for stuffing under Mini bonnets that could be quite a proportion of the fuel. If it's a road car you're going to spend the majority of your time at part throttle anyway so squeezing out the nth degree of charge density won't matter that much.

#9 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:23 PM

I have run it without the pipe for the last year - also my frst year of owning a mini, but have decided to swap it over to plumbing the manifold as I have had issues in the cold with running on constant choke and the engine cooling down quite a bit on the highway / taking forever to heat up... 
As said above I do not think that the heat in there will affect the air going through enough to have a measurable difference - yes vizard said so but Im driving a sporty 998 so losing 0.5-1hp for sense of mind is alright by me. What I think it is better for, however, is heating up the carb correctly to get the dashpot oil to the right temp and have a constant temperature regardless of the weather. That should help keep my engine setting more or less the same over the seasonal changes.

p.s i dont drive in winter but I did drive it up until 5-10*C sunny days :D

Humm at the end of the day a rarely if ever drive in the winter so cold weather and manifolds are not an issue.  I am thinking not to run it as I do not want any less power as the whole point of my build was to maximize the same.

#10 postve

postve

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 25 February 2020 - 04:25 PM

I'm with Icey (apposite name!) the biggest effect will be on fuel that runs along the walls of the manifold. Given the short 'n twisty nature of single carb manifolds for stuffing under Mini bonnets that could be quite a proportion of the fuel. If it's a road car you're going to spend the majority of your time at part throttle anyway so squeezing out the nth degree of charge density won't matter that much.

thx Ethel and on the contrary, I push this mini quite hard so max on the pedal 60% of the time.

#11 nicklouse

nicklouse

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • 17,935 posts
  • Local Club: Anonyme Miniholiker

Posted 25 February 2020 - 05:16 PM   Best Answer

It is nothing to do with carb icing. It was an economy thing. Pointless and always removed them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users