Photo
- - - - -

Dipped Beam Issue, But Only One Side

Best Answer rossul.burn , 01 March 2020 - 03:00 PM

All sorted, checked for resistant from the bulb holder to the bullet connector and it appeared okay, checked between fuse and bullet and was okay. So I then put them back together and it was working. The bullet connectors had become dislodged when I have been working on the car. Least it was a simple fix but thanks to everyone who helped. Onto the aux fan not working! Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 03:40 PM

I've had a look about and cannot seem to find the answer

I was checking over the car today making sure everything was working ready for getting it out and I went to check the headlights and they don't seem to be working properly

Sidelights on both work
Dipped beam only works on drivers side
Full beam works on both
Flash works
I can hear the relay clicking under the dash for the dim dip.

I've fit spot lights but these were done last year and everything has been working fine. I have recently installed aux gauges and tapped into the sidelight wiring and I'm sure they worked after that. All the lighting to the dash works fine and rear lights are okay too

What should I go about looking at? I know people recommend change the dim dip relay and also the light switch but I think this might be different as one side is working fine?

Could the element pop on the dipped beam side of the bulb and then the main beam still work?

#2 RedRuby

RedRuby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,201 posts
  • Local Club: No

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:14 PM

Some Mini’s depending on age had 4 inline fuses behind the dash (roughly in line with the steering column) one each for headlights left and right and one each for dipped beam again left and right.

#3 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 05:50 PM

Some Mini’s depending on age had 4 inline fuses behind the dash (roughly in line with the steering column) one each for headlights left and right and one each for dipped beam again left and right.

Thanks I will check this, it's a 96 Mayfair. Do you know if this has it?

#4 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 07:13 PM

I'd be checking the bulb first.  Yes the dip element can fail and the main beam element still work.  If the bulb's alright then look elsewhere.

#5 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 29 February 2020 - 09:03 PM

I'd be checking the bulb first. Yes the dip element can fail and the main beam element still work. If the bulb's alright then look elsewhere.

I've just replaced the bulb and it's still the same. I will check see if there are any fuses tomorrow then I will replace the switch and the relay as my next steps

#6 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 29 February 2020 - 10:55 PM

Unlikely to be any switch or relay as they're common to both sides. If it's not the bulb look for a fuse and check the wire & connections working back from the bulb.

I forget the actual colours but if there are headlight fuses it won't have the blue/red dip beam colour scheme on the car side of the connectors behind the grille.

#7 unburntfuelinthemorning

unburntfuelinthemorning

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,914 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

Don't throw money at the switch or relay because as Ethel said both sides would fail if these were at fault.  Most likely a wiring connector fault to that headlight, or the wiring itself, or a fuse if the headlights are fused individually.  Try and trace the fault using a test light and a wiring diagram.

#8 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for the heads up. I have been looking and I need to check fuse 17/18 (depending which way you interpret right and left on the fusebox info guide on here) I will swap that over and then see what happens and take it from there. Hopefully it's just a fuse but from what I can see there has been some lovely cable repairs on the car. Scotchlock to repair a cut cable, that repair might explain why my auxiliary fan doesn't work!

#9 rossul.burn

rossul.burn

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 01 March 2020 - 03:00 PM   Best Answer

All sorted, checked for resistant from the bulb holder to the bullet connector and it appeared okay, checked between fuse and bullet and was okay. So I then put them back together and it was working. The bullet connectors had become dislodged when I have been working on the car. Least it was a simple fix but thanks to everyone who helped. Onto the aux fan not working!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users