4 replies to this topic

#1 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:51 AM

I know some of you drive the Bmw Mini on here, can someone tell me when the Cooper S was fitted with run flat tyres as standard? Or have they always had run flats?

#2 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 11:56 AM

Not sure on the R53 but my mums R56 came with run flats as standard I believe. Were soon swapped out for normal tyres as it really affects the ride comfort! 

#3 paul748

paul748

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 12:58 PM

Always run flats from new. But when replacement time came around many owners soon ditched them for a more sensible option.

#4 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,795 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:42 PM

Normal tyres fit runflat rims no problem, they just have an extra lip to stop a flat tyre bead moving into the central recess in the rim. Ride will be improved over the stiff runflat sidewalls and normal tyres are much cheaper......a spacesaver spare can be retro-fitted under the boot floor on all R50 MINI's except the R53 Cooper S which has a rear mounted battery and twin box centre exhaust in the way.

Replaced all the 205/45/17 Pirelli Runflat tyres on my R50 MINI with Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 215/40/17 non runflats (slightly wider but lower profile to give same overall diameter).

Pros: cheaper, much smoother ride and far better grip and handling than the runflats with stiff sidewalls.
Cons: You need to fit a space-saver spare kit on One or Cooper (or to carry a can of puncture repair from Halfords for a Cooper S due to rear battery and twin exhaust box).

#5 G'Racy

G'Racy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 10:38 PM

Thanks for that, hadn’t picked up on the battery position on the Cooper S.
Like to have a spare of some sort so I think a standard Cooper may be an option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users