#1 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 10 March 2020 - 06:26 PM

How bad is it to run an engine with these? .. high days and holidays only ...

#2 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:12 PM

Ram pipes are designed to draw in air as smoothly as possible, without one you have hard edges around the mouth of the carburetor. There isn't really a draw back to using one.

For ultimate power you should use the correct length ram pipe which will improve the "ram air" effect which ensures the pulsing of the air back and forth within the intake system is timed up for each time the intake valves open. But just using any will be better than not. If its just for a fun road toy then pop one on for sure! 

Ideally you will want some sort of filtration as well though, engines don't like ingesting foreign object debris. I believe MED do a sub stack ram pipe within a filter which would work well. 

#3 johnv

johnv

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Local Club: FDMC

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Alex .. I  had the MED stub stacks on my old mini which I used more frequently.. a good solution but I’d quite like to run straight ram pipes but have heard tales of woe concerning bore wear .. but it won’t be doing a lot of miles ..

#4 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 10 March 2020 - 07:44 PM

Ah yeah in that case I think you mean bore wear as a result as not running filters. On a road car I personally wouldn't run without a filter, it's not worth the risk. You can also run the filter socks and remove them when displaying your engine bay at a show for instance, but they actually disrupt the airflow into the ram pipe and you lose the benefits of running a ram pipe. 

Is it just aesthetics you want from the ram pipes over  a sub stack & filter? 

#5 Turbo Phil

Turbo Phil

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,418 posts
  • Local Club: Cumbria Classic Mini Club

Posted 10 March 2020 - 08:36 PM

I wouldn’t even contemplate running open ram pipes, a decent filter costs little, if anything, in terms of power. Worn rings and valve seats will.

Phil.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users