44 replies to this topic

#1 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:07 PM

Sadly it looks like this is the end of the line for us and our mini ... We have just spent £350 for our local welder to investigate offside sill work - he's had a deep dig into it and estimates £2k to fix, so sadly after five years of fun it's goodbye. I'll be advertising her on Facebook today - can mods please tell me how to become member on tmf so I can advertise her here?

My wife is crying now :(

Edited by ads7, 10 June 2020 - 11:48 AM.

#2 Alex_B

Alex_B

Doesn't put foot in mouth enough!

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,573 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:22 PM

Have you got the space and time to do it yourself? It's not the hardest thing to do and once its done you can be very happy about keeping your pride and joy on the road and having done the work yourself? 

#3 SuperDeLuxeNick

SuperDeLuxeNick

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts
  • Local Club: Midweek Minis Portsmouth

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:23 PM

Sills not that bad to do... shop around, can be done for cheaper!

#4 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:25 PM

As above can't it be done at home?
350 to investigate seems a bit steep...

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,485 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:29 PM

That's mental, you'll get it done cheaper. Some mini clubs will have members willing to do welding at a fixed rate, or their materials.

#6 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,031 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:43 PM

A complete inner and outer sill sub-assembly from M-Machine is around £80. To remove a sill and fit that sub-assembly takes around 5 hours including all cutting, grinding, welding and linishing back.

That works out at around £380 per side, allowing £60 per hour.

There will be some re-painting needed, but you can do that yourself with some rattle-cans.

There may be more corrosion, but from wht you said it is just the offside sill. The £350 you paid for investigation should have covered most off the work. IMHO he is taking the proverbial.

There are some good guys on here who would do it themselves or recommend someone good and reasonably priced.

DON'T GIVE UP YET  :D .

Edited by Cooperman, 11 March 2020 - 12:44 PM.

#7 whistler

whistler

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 12:47 PM

Sadly it looks like this is the end of the line for us and our mini ... We have just spent £350 for our local welder to investigate offside sill work - he's had a deep dig into it and estimates £2k to fix, so sadly after five years of fun it's goodbye. I'll be advertising her on Facebook today - can mods please tell me how to become member on tmf so I can advertise her here?

Ask on here for Mini workshop in your area that could possibly give you a different range of quotes. Sometimes people overquote because once you start cutting out sections you never know what other rot you find.

#8 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Local Club: mini clan

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:18 PM

350 to investigate  and 2k to fix he needs a good kick in the balls , why not ask on one of the forums on facebook if theres a welder near you who can give you a descent quote , wish I was nearer to you mate id have done the work

#9 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 01:56 PM

Thanks everyone, rot also extends to the o/s rear under bin / rear subframe mount area / lower rear wing and three inches into the floor pan. Guess this would add a bit to the cost.

Have to say £350 to investigate was a bit of a shock . Should have got my grinder out.

I've got a garage at home but can't weld myself. If anyone can weld and lives anywhere near Oswestry I'm still open to keeping the car

#10 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:02 PM

Here's link to Facebook post showing photos

https://m.facebook.c...853&ref=m_notif

Cheers guys

#11 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

Thanks everyone, rot also extends to the o/s rear under bin / rear subframe mount area / lower rear wing and three inches into the floor pan. Guess this would add a bit to the cost.

Have to say £350 to investigate was a bit of a shock . Should have got my grinder out.

I've got a garage at home but can't weld myself. If anyone can weld and lives anywhere near Oswestry I'm still open to keeping the car

seen the pics on face book ,he didn't even brace it up b4 cutting all that away , obviously he didn't really want the job , that's why he quoted you 2 grand , if I were you id get it home and ask about various mini forums , of who theyd recommend to do the welding, don't give in

#12 ads7

ads7

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:07 PM

Just posted up for help on tmf

#13 mercenary62

mercenary62

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 02:16 PM

Just posted up for help on tmf

good mate hope someone can help

#14 Furyan

Furyan

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 11 March 2020 - 11:36 PM

Try here, there's more than one garage near you,

https://www.whocanfi...elding/oswestry

Theres also a mobile welder on Facebook down your way called Mr Mig.

Whoever you get just buy the panels yourself so theres no mark up and get them welded on. Good luck.

Edited by Furyan, 11 March 2020 - 11:40 PM.

#15 Homersimpson

Homersimpson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts

Posted 12 March 2020 - 07:25 AM

£350 just to investigate, sounds like a con artist to me. 20 minutes with a good screwdriver should have told him most if not all of what he needed to know.

Is it garage where they only normally weld the odd plate on or somewhere that restores very expensive cars who can get away with charging extorsionate rates?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users