Photo
- - - - -

Building My Fast Road Engine - Few Questions..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 R1cbm

R1cbm

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:03 PM

Hello Mini community.

I'm in the middle of swapping engines, going from a 998cc Stage 1 (head looks like it's had some work done) to a Rob Walker built 1380 fast road, head modified and kent cam.   I have removed the 998, and starting to move some parts over there were a few questions that come to mind as this is my first build. (be kind pls ;)

OK, this may sound stupid - but I can't seem to work out how to identify what rad I have currently on my tuned 998?  When I look through the filler cap I think there are 3 rows of tubes - does this mean 3 core and I have 11 blade fan? Therefore is this enough to keep my new engine cool?

Fuel pump - http://www.minispare...px|Back to shop

This seems to be for a 1275 - would it power the HIF 44 that I plan to fit?  I want the simple option, so while electronic is likely to be better, more work to install and apparently the facets are noisy.  - this is a garaged weekend toy, so not a daily driver?

Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 InnoCooperExport

InnoCooperExport

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Seven Club Nederland

Posted 15 March 2020 - 12:19 PM

AFAIK all the rads are the same so no issues there. If it works for your tuned 998 it should be okay for your 1380.

As for the pump, it's listed as a 1275 fuel pump with a hif44 so that should be fine.

#3 R1cbm

R1cbm

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:25 PM

ace

#4 blacktulip

blacktulip

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,221 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 08:34 PM

The rad will be ok until the hot weather and traffic as long as the cores are completely clear. I would try and get a minispares 2 core special rad. I know you have a 3 core but the 2 core is far superior for cooling as the cores are larger and the fin arrangement dissipates heat much quicker. The fuel pump will cope with the hif44 all day long.

#5 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,482 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 March 2020 - 11:20 PM

Fit a fletcher ali rad, cured my issues on my Clubby Estate.

Everything else will work. I assume you have the 1990 onwards front subframe so the engine sits further forward to give carb clearance for an HIF carb?

Edited by cal844, 15 March 2020 - 11:22 PM.

#6 R1cbm

R1cbm

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 07:49 AM

Fit a fletcher ali rad, cured my issues on my Clubby Estate.

Everything else will work. I assume you have the 1990 onwards front subframe so the engine sits further forward to give carb clearance for an HIF carb?

You know - that's a good question and I am not sure.  Searched the paperwork for the car as it's got all sorts of bits / upgrades and found a part number for the rear, nothing for the front one. Both have been replaced.

https://www.ebay.co....Z-/252407033529

The engine I am putting in is a rebuilt MG Metro unit

Edited by R1cbm, 16 March 2020 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users