#1 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 01:45 PM

Hi, 

I'm having a problem with the door alignment on my restored shell.

When I got the shell back the door gaps were perfect. I then fitted the door seals and check strap seal and it seemed to throw it out of alignment. To the point that the door is now catching on the B post. I've removed the seals but it has now stayed in that position.

When I try to tighten up the hinge nuts in the wheel arch, the top one is just spinning on the thread. Is this a likely cause to my problem?

Hog8VCk.jpg

CFcMfXr.jpg

#2 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:34 PM

If the top hinge has a shim, remove it, also change the top hinge if the thread is stripped.

#3 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 15 March 2020 - 03:49 PM

Sounds to me like things were not quite tight hence why the seals have possibly shifted the door.

Now as mentioned, if a hinge has a stud issue, this will need to be dealt with first.

And looking at the picture the door has appeared to drop at the back.

Deal with the hinge first, so either replace the hinge or try and weld the stud if it is spinning. Then you can deal with the gapping issue. 

#4 pusb

pusb

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 04:07 PM

Thanks guys. I will sort the top hinge first.

I can't weld so it'll have a be a new hinge job I think

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,896 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 15 March 2020 - 04:17 PM

Now you need to be careful here. IF the original hinge is a genuine OE hinge then replace it with a like for like.

The reason why i say this as i got caught out with Project Erm. I used a new set of hinges my lad bought for aligning the door and gapping. he had waiting in the wings a brand new set of DSN lightweight hinges.

So when the car was all painted and we went to fit the DSN hinges nothing would fit. They were out by 2-3mm compared to the pattern hinges i used to mock the door up with.

A phone call later confirmed the DSN hinges were dimensionally correct to OE hinges. When i compared the pattern hinges to a old set of OE hinges i had laying around you could see the difference.

So with this in mind buyer beware.

#6 cal844

cal844

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,488 posts
  • Local Club: TFMOC

Posted 15 March 2020 - 04:53 PM

Now you need to be careful here. IF the original hinge is a genuine OE hinge then replace it with a like for like.

The reason why i say this as i got caught out with Project Erm. I used a new set of hinges my lad bought for aligning the door and gapping. he had waiting in the wings a brand new set of DSN lightweight hinges.

So when the car was all painted and we went to fit the DSN hinges nothing would fit. They were out by 2-3mm compared to the pattern hinges i used to mock the door up with.
A phone call later confirmed the DSN hinges were dimensionally correct to OE hinges. When i compared the pattern hinges to a old set of OE hinges i had laying around you could see the difference.

So with this in mind buyer beware.

I agree, I've had this too

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users