Photo
- - - - -

Electrical And Igntion Problem! Please Help!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 AaronLynch

AaronLynch

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:57 PM

Hi my name is Aaron and I have bought my first mini a few weeks back. 

1997 Spi 1.3 mini cooper

I have loved driving it every day since with no problems, besides over running and having to put a new vacuum line end on I have had little to no problems.

Until today! where when I went to drive my car, kill switch closed and went to turn the ignition nothing happened. No electrics in the car worked except hazards and my lights. 

BUT when I turned on my lights I got all my electrics back and the car started up no problem. Then when I killed the lights, I lost all my power again and the car died.

The car runs fine when it is on and altenator is producing current and recharging battery. Fuses are all fine.

Any help would be great!

Kind regards 

Aaron Lynch

#2 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,416 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 16 March 2020 - 01:48 AM

That's an odd one!

The lights & hazards aren't ignition dependent so I wonder if it's a fault with the ignition switch that they are somehow bypassing?

I'd have to look at a wiring diagram to guess where, but the ignition light might give some useful clues. Does it come on at all before the engine starts? With just the lights or ignition or does it require both on?

#3 AaronLynch

AaronLynch

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

Thanks for your reply!

No without me switching on the lights nothing in the car will work. When the switch for the lights are turned on I get my ignition and very low power for everything else. I plan to get the car to an auto electrician as by the looks of it the past owner did not do a very good job in wiring in general. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users