#1 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:20 PM

Hi all,

what is out there to be able to have electric windows on our minis ?

Pete.

#2 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Local Club: British Mini Club

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:36 PM

I purchased one of the early type, from A-Series spares, that used a wire drive to operate the existing winder. It was a piece of junk.

I think the current Minispares one that uses a complete bespoke design and dumps the exiting winder mechanism, is far superior. Its not cheap, but does look look like it will stand the test of time.

I'd be interested to hear from someone who has this type fitted.

http://www.minispare...|Back to search

#3 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,758 posts
  • Local Club: Unipower GT Owners Club

Posted 16 March 2020 - 02:52 PM

I was thumbing through an old motoring Mag at the dentist, when I found an article by a guy who had adapted standard Bini bits to replace the Mini hand winder.

I hadn't finished the 2nd paragraph before I was called, and forgot to go back to the waiting room to read the rest.

#4 MacGyver

MacGyver

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 16 March 2020 - 08:25 PM

I was thumbing through an old motoring Mag at the dentist, when I found an article by a guy who had adapted standard Bini bits to replace the Mini hand winder.

I hadn't finished the 2nd paragraph before I was called, and forgot to go back to the waiting room to read the rest.

... ?

#5 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 08:49 AM

I've heard of various manufacturers window systems that will fit into the classic Mini and I suppose that as most electric windows work on the same principle, it shouldn't be too hard to adapt most motors.

The problem with the Mini, as we all know, is that the doors were never designed to have wind up windows, let alone electric ones. The doors being so narrow, it's hard to find a place for a 20mm hole in the edge of the door for the wiring, let alone space for a motor. Most modern cars have a bulge in the interior door panel for a large hand grip and place for switches, so a modified door card could give extra space if needed. Depending on how much you want to tinker, sometimes a bolt on kit woks out cheaper than buying parts from other cars that you can't get to work on a Mini. Ask me how I know!

#6 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 10:20 AM

Hi
If you want to drill the door for the wiring my 75 1275gt Wood&Pickett mini had electric windows the hole was 35mm from the bottom of the top hinge and 25mm in from the inner door skin. You can just see the rubber blanking plug in the centre of the pic.

Attached Files

Edited by Chris1275gt, 17 March 2020 - 10:21 AM.

#7 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 11:31 AM

You’ll struggle to find a mechanism from a modern car that will work as a Minis door glass but modern door glass is curved and the channel that runs up and down is curved to match.

I used a generic hot rod kit for the rear windows in my estate. It’s basically the same kit as Mini Spares sell without the Mini specific bracketry.
https://www.a1electr...t_Code=EL1000-K

If you want something simple that will bolt right in fork out for the Mini Spares kit.

Edited by Tupers, 17 March 2020 - 11:33 AM.

#8 Tim61

Tim61

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:23 PM

Hi Chris1275GT, 

Why did you remove the electric windows from you WP?

#9 Chris1275gt

Chris1275gt

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 796 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 01:59 PM

Hi Chris1275GT, 

The motor casings were rotted and the frames inside the doors were all rotted as well as the numerous switches that operated them and no spares are available at all. I've kept the glass and small 1/4 windows if ever I could somehow resurrect them.

#10 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 17 March 2020 - 02:03 PM

Hi Chris1275GT, 

The motor casings were rotted and the frames inside the doors were all rotted as well as the numerous switches that operated them and no spares are available at all. I've kept the glass and small 1/4 windows if ever I could somehow resurrect them.

It sounds as though Renault bought up surplus stock, and fitted it in my Megane.

#11 gav

gav

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 09:59 AM

Hi Chris1275GT, 

It sounds as though Renault bought up surplus stock, and fitted it in my Megane.

I feel your pain, I had a Megane too...

#12 DeadSquare

DeadSquare

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,758 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 10:16 AM

A couple of years ago at a traffic incident, after some shouting and gesticulating, a policeman opened my driver's door and said  "When a Police Officer tells you to wind down you window, you do it".

I took the wind out of his sails when I replied "Don't be silly, it's a Renault"

#13 Mini Manannán

Mini Manannán

Well I'll be buggered if I can find it

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • Local Club: man Estate

Posted 18 March 2020 - 02:36 PM

We adapted Fiat Punto window motors to fit my mini. Not for the faint-hearted though!

#14 Gcal

Gcal

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 124 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 03:04 PM

https://www.minispar...RkaAmQHEALw_wcB mini spares do a kit for mini electric windows

#15 Compdoc

Compdoc

Super Mini Mad

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 609 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 07:51 PM

Hi
If you want to drill the door for the wiring my 75 1275gt Wood&Pickett mini had electric windows the hole was 35mm from the bottom of the top hinge and 25mm in from the inner door skin. You can just see the rubber blanking plug in the centre of the pic.

Thanks for that Chris, that's really useful. How about the hole into the car, does it go straight across or does it go through a wiggly rubber sleeve.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users