#16 Alice Dooper

Alice Dooper

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Local Club: Minis in Northern Ireland

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:20 PM

Mine was giving similar problems.  Turned out that I’d replaced the Lambda sensor with a generic and the ECU just didn’t like it.

replaced it with a genuine Bosch as per original spec and along with an adjustable fuel pressure regulator we were able to set it up very nicely for MOT.

#17 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 18 March 2020 - 05:38 PM

As it is permanently too rich, i would measure the fuel pressure.May be diaphragma is hardened  and opens too late.

#18 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:18 AM

well that was not much fun, 4 hours to get the Lambda sensor out, along with the associated gubbings to get to it, fitted the new one, built it all back up, and no difference with the lambda reading still between 0.1 to 1.5 fluctuating. then to top it all the fuel hose from the filter split and emptied half a tank of fuel over the garage floor before I even noticed, then me running around trying to find cans to syphon the petrol into. having a mini is love hate but I hate the F_____g thing right now. it defiantly sorn time as I am now at a total loss to know whats next, I might cover it up and leave it 10 years. the Joys !  

#19 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:51 AM

I just re read the emissions test failure sheet, where is mentions Lambda sensor it says pass. such as fast idle lambda min limit 0.950 max limit 1.090 actual 0.994 pass. does this mean that the lambda sensor was actually all good including readings at the MOT. ?

Edited by ClassicAsh, 20 March 2020 - 10:02 AM.

#20 Steve220

Steve220

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,885 posts
  • Local Club: RAF Mini Club

Posted 20 March 2020 - 09:16 AM

It still running rich at 0.944.

#21 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 01:36 PM

Sorry that the O2 sensor replacement did not pan out. I am still puzzled by the 1.5 volt reading. Is there an ECU you could borrow to try out? If not, then what was suggested earlier of cleaning the injector might be the way to go.

Load up the parts cannon.

New lambda, new CTS, clean&rebuild or replace the injector, new injector seals/rubbers.

#22 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:49 PM

Sorry that the O2 sensor replacement did not pan out. I am still puzzled by the 1.5 volt reading. Is there an ECU you could borrow to try out? If not, then what was suggested earlier of cleaning the injector might be the way to go.

Load up the parts cannon.

New lambda, new CTS, clean&rebuild or replace the injector, new injector seals/rubbers.

That's ok it was worth a try, since its has split the fuel pipe and I cant find my stock of fuel pipe it will have to sit for a while until I do. in the big scheme of things  I guess its all pretty trivial, but at least a distraction. I might have to admit defeat and hand it in to my local garage when things blow over and let them have a crack at it. Thanks for your help 

#23 xrocketengineer

xrocketengineer

Rocket Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 20 March 2020 - 08:54 PM

I found some good basic explanation of the O2 sensor operation that might give you some other clues of things to check for like ECU or O2 sensor earthing:

https://www.import-c...oxygen-sensors/

#24 genpop

genpop

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:45 AM

If you have a laptop download mems-rosco from github.com/leopoldg. Familiarize with the programm. Do a logfile and inspect it. I guess your LTFT is higher than 125 to 128., this makes the engine running rich all the time. You may lower that within the program.. You may dedect that with mems-diag as well but its a bit difficult to send the log file from the smart-phone to your mail adress on the computer. mems-diag log files can be opened with mems-rosco too but you may open them with a spreadsheet programm like excel or open office as well.(mems diag  log files do not export as much  parameters as mems-rosco).If you do not like the look and feel from mems-rosco then search for mems-scan but then you need the mems analyzer from rmr-soft-com.

Off course you may publish the log-file here and some of the friends here will inspect it too.

Edited by genpop, 21 March 2020 - 07:47 AM.

#25 ClassicAsh

ClassicAsh

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 04:13 PM

If you have a laptop download mems-rosco from github.com/leopoldg. Familiarize with the programm. Do a logfile and inspect it. I guess your LTFT is higher than 125 to 128., this makes the engine running rich all the time. You may lower that within the program.. You may dedect that with mems-diag as well but its a bit difficult to send the log file from the smart-phone to your mail adress on the computer. mems-diag log files can be opened with mems-rosco too but you may open them with a spreadsheet programm like excel or open office as well.(mems diag  log files do not export as much  parameters as mems-rosco).If you do not like the look and feel from mems-rosco then search for mems-scan but then you need the mems analyzer from rmr-soft-com.

Off course you may publish the log-file here and some of the friends here will inspect it too.

I am not the best with technology so have to admit almost all of that went over my head.. I have at least replaced the fuel pipe today so I can move it around under it own steam. I will have to find a friendly mini savvy garage to help sort it out. thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users